Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot enable File sharing and other sharing services

I'm trying to enable File Sharing through System Preferences -> Sharing but the checkbox next to the File Sharing service doesn't respond: clicking on it does nothing, it does not check it (and the service remains off). The same is true for Media Sharing, and Internet Sharing (whose checkboxes look slightly greyed out). See the attached screenshot.

I'm on a macbook pro 13-inch mid 2018 running macOS 10.15.7 (19H1922) (latest updates).

I have tried resetting SMC and NVRAM but it made no difference. I've tried it in safe mode, and there's no difference.

What could be the problem and how can it be fixed?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 11:23 PM

Hi eposse,

I have the same issue. I believe it is related to the most recent security update.

There is a workaround for this from a few others in these forums who have been having a similar issue...

Open terminal and launch this command to turn file sharing on:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

To turn off:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

Not ideal, but sadly the only thing that seems to work for the time being.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 11:23 PM in response to eposse

Hi eposse,

I have the same issue. I believe it is related to the most recent security update.

There is a workaround for this from a few others in these forums who have been having a similar issue...

Open terminal and launch this command to turn file sharing on:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

To turn off:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

Not ideal, but sadly the only thing that seems to work for the time being.

Jun 12, 2022 6:49 AM in response to eposse

Same issue here. I disabled file sharing for some other purpose, then when I went to re-enable it, it will not allow me to turn it back on for with AFP or SMB. You can click on them, but they never indicate that they are on and will not re-enable.

At first I thought the command line solution did not work, but I was using the disable command. ha!

Yes, the command line solution works. Thank you.

Jul 25, 2022 2:21 PM in response to Mimitech

Glad it worked! Sadly the issue remains even with the latest update. I was getting quite far with tech support as they managed to acknowledge that it was the update that caused the issue (I re-installed Catalina and the update hadn't been installed and the file sharing worked). Sadly and annoyingly, they stopped short of collecting data from my machine as it is now classified as "Vintage". Incredibly frustrating as it is Apple's fault. If anyone has a Catalina machine that isn't vintage, they may have more luck with getting tech support to fix the issue!

Jul 26, 2022 5:47 AM in response to MotoMcLovin

I wanted to reinstall Catalina, but didn’t trust my tech skills to do so. I am very happy with this workaround. I probably will not turn it off. I just installed 32 GB of RAM and my 2012 iMac is still working great with the exception of not running Photoshop 2022, because of the graphics card. But I can run Photoshop 2020 just fine. I even tried to connect my MacBook 2020 with iMac 2012 as a display. I spent hours after buying the correct cables, to discover that it will not work(only MacBook 2019 Will work). Again, thank you so much for this valuable Tip that I can now work on my MacBook and access my external drive through the Network to iMac 2012.

I cannot enable File sharing and other sharing services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.