Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Apple Music stock app have to be installed to use 3rd-party music apps?

I would like to buy another app more favourable to offline music libraries to use on my iPhone with iOS 15. However, from what I am seeing, most alternatives state that the Apple Music app must be installed for their app to work.

I don’t use online music subscription services as I have a large collection of CDs and the Apple Music app is getting worse at searching my offline music library via Siri. Therefore, I would like to get rid of it and use a music app which Siri knows is not part of Apple’s online music service.

Siri and the older versions of the stock music app used to work great but this new ‘Apple Music’ monstrosity is like a retrograde step when using Siri to search my offline music collection.

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 3:17 AM

5 replies

Jun 4, 2022 1:13 AM in response to hcsitas

There’s quite a few on the App Store which state it needs to be installed. I purchased one which did not state it needed to have the music app installed, so I uninstalled the music app and it couldn’t play any music files. I reinstalled the music app and the alternative music player I had purchased could find and play music. So it seems many developers are relying on the native music app to be installed in order for theirs to work. Maybe it’s a requirement if the needs are for access to the offline music library on an iPhone.

Does the Apple Music stock app have to be installed to use 3rd-party music apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.