Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual monitor set up "glitch"...

I have a dual monitor setup that is unusual (possibly), in that my second monitor is a Wacom drawing tablet, and I'm left-handed, so my second monitor is on my left, not right. This is to accommodate my left hand in illustration projects or retouching. I'm on a Mac M1.

With all my applications this works fine. They stay on the monitor side I set them. This includes the Adobe apps Premiere and After Effects. I have a 2 monitor workspace for all my editing and animation apps. So far, FCPX is the only app with this weird behaviour and it's driving me nuts.

Every time I launch FCPX, the workspace flips. Every time. I have to manually drag the windows back to their respective monitors (timelines and tools on the left, project viewer and scopes on the right). It maintains this behaviour even when I assign the left monitor to be the main display in the Mac system. Ideally, I don't want to do this as the Wacom isn't strictly-speaking a monitor in that sense, but I was willing to if it solved this issue, but it doesn't.

Suggestions?

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 7:34 AM

Let me see if I got it correctly: you want the main FCP interface to be on the left, and the secondary display to be the otherwise main display.

Here is a little trick for you: instead of launching FCP from the Dock or the Applications folder (or, heaven forbid, Launchpad...), try it this way:

1) Click somewhere in the empty area of the menu of the display you want it to use (in this case, it will be the Wacom, if I understood correctly)

2) Press Command-space and type Final

3) Press enter

Incidentally, using Spotlight, as in steps 2) and 3), is my preferred way to launch applications, in general; the first step ensures that the desired display is "active" when you launch an application (this of course will work for other applications as well).

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 7:34 AM in response to creativeguytoronto

Let me see if I got it correctly: you want the main FCP interface to be on the left, and the secondary display to be the otherwise main display.

Here is a little trick for you: instead of launching FCP from the Dock or the Applications folder (or, heaven forbid, Launchpad...), try it this way:

1) Click somewhere in the empty area of the menu of the display you want it to use (in this case, it will be the Wacom, if I understood correctly)

2) Press Command-space and type Final

3) Press enter

Incidentally, using Spotlight, as in steps 2) and 3), is my preferred way to launch applications, in general; the first step ensures that the desired display is "active" when you launch an application (this of course will work for other applications as well).

Jun 3, 2022 7:54 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, Luis, you correctly understood my set up.

Okay, based on that suggestion, I first tried relaunching normally to confirm the problem - I launched using the dock, as I always have. I quit FCPX and launched using the dock again, but used the dock from the left-side monitor this time, and the app opened the way I preferred it, with the correct window in each monitor.

Thanks, problem solved, though I do find that an annoying behaviour. Instead of having to swap them every time, I have to remember to us the left dock every time.

I mouse right-handed (play instruments right-handed, but draw and do every day things left-handed), so my habit is to click the right monitor, but I'll have to purge that habit.

Thanks Luis.

Jun 3, 2022 8:00 AM in response to creativeguytoronto

creativeguytoronto wrote:

Yes, Luis, you correctly understood my set up.

Okay, based on that suggestion, I first tried relaunching normally to confirm the problem - I launched using the dock, as I always have. I quit FCPX and launched using the dock again, but used the dock from the left-side monitor this time, and the app opened the way I preferred it, with the correct window in each monitor.

Thanks, problem solved, though I do find that an annoying behaviour. Instead of having to swap them every time, I have to remember to us the left dock every time.

I never suggested to use the Dock!!!

Dual monitor set up "glitch"...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.