Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I edit an emailed Word doc. on Pages. When done, how do I email it back as a Word doc?

how do I edit an emailed Word doc. on Pages. When done, how do I email it back as a Word doc?

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 4:35 PM

Open the word document into Pages.

Pages will translate* the file contents from Word's format to the internal format used for Pages documents.

Make a small change to the name of the document (to avoid the possibility of replacing the original with the edited version)

Edit the document as needed.

When the editing is completed, go to the File menu and choose Export to > Word.

Follow the prompts that appear in the dialogue.

Pages will translate* the document to MS Word file format, then Save that file with a .dotx extension.

Regards,

Barry

*Note that Pages is not a clone of MS Word. Several features supported by Word are not supported, or are supported differently in Pages.

*Similarely, Word is not a clone of Pages. Several features supported by Pages are not supported, or are supported differently in Word.

Any feature supported in one, but not the other application will not survive the journey.

If you transfer documents in Word format regularly with a person (or persons) who use MS Word, your best course of action may be to purchase and install MS Office Mac 2019 or later on your Mac. Using the same application at both ends will make for easier and more accurate document exchanges.

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 4:35 PM in response to a-adrift

Open the word document into Pages.

Pages will translate* the file contents from Word's format to the internal format used for Pages documents.

Make a small change to the name of the document (to avoid the possibility of replacing the original with the edited version)

Edit the document as needed.

When the editing is completed, go to the File menu and choose Export to > Word.

Follow the prompts that appear in the dialogue.

Pages will translate* the document to MS Word file format, then Save that file with a .dotx extension.

Regards,

Barry

*Note that Pages is not a clone of MS Word. Several features supported by Word are not supported, or are supported differently in Pages.

*Similarely, Word is not a clone of Pages. Several features supported by Pages are not supported, or are supported differently in Word.

Any feature supported in one, but not the other application will not survive the journey.

If you transfer documents in Word format regularly with a person (or persons) who use MS Word, your best course of action may be to purchase and install MS Office Mac 2019 or later on your Mac. Using the same application at both ends will make for easier and more accurate document exchanges.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 4, 2022 6:38 PM in response to a-adrift

Hi Anne,

Checking the file I exported yesterday, I noticed that

Sharing and Permissions was automatically set to:

To make the document editable by the recipient, you'll need to change the "Everybody" permissions for the converted file to "Read and Write.

Locate the converted file on your Mac.

Click once on the file to Select it, then press command-I to Get Info.

Go to the Sharing and Permissions section, select the Read only type beside everyone, and change it to Read & Write, as shown above.

Note: You may need to open the lock seen at the bottom of the window, and enter an administrator's name and password to make the change stick.

Regards,

Barry

PS: Note to Viking OS X:

Thanks for the extension correction to my post above.

B.

Jun 6, 2022 4:13 PM in response to Barry

Oops!

Must have been in a rush yesterday.

Here are the missing 'before', 'editing', and after images of the Sharing and Permissions box in the info window for the document.

Before editing (default values)

Only the 'owner' has read and write privileges.

Clicking 'Read only' to the right of 'everyone' opens a small menu, in which, I've placed the pointer (not visible when taking the screen shot) on the "Read and Write" item.

Clicking the highlighted item confirms the change and closes the menu.

If I then close theInfo dialogue, then reopen it, the everyone privilege remains set to Read and Write:

as mentioned in my earlier post, I was a bit surprised that the change could be made without opening the lock at the bottom right of the images.

On second thought, though, it seems a reasonable situation—the change is applicable only to this document, and the person making the change is the 'owner' of that document.

Changing preferences that apply system-wide do require the lock to be unlocked, and require an administrator password to do that.

Regards,

Barry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.