Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync music to iCloud

Hi.

I have 19GB of music on my MacBook Pro that I'd like moved off my device and onto iCloud. The Sync Library box is checked in Music/Preferences. Some of this music was originally saved on a PC before I got the Mac and then saved on the Mac. Thus, I can play this music on my Mac but, although I can see the music files on my iPhone X, I can't play them there. I can play the music downloaded off iTunes on both the Mac and iPhone. How can I get the music on the laptop off it and onto the cloud?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 4:39 PM

Trust me when I say this article saved my sanity! I had roughly 26GB of music from throughout the years and pulled most of my hair out trying to rack my brain bc I knew there had to be something not synching correctly. Even if you have Sync Library checked, it wouldn't hurt to go through this article, step by step. I had a couple thousand songs that wasn't checked and that is why they were greyed out on my phone.

I really hope this works!

If your songs are grayed out - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 4:39 PM in response to sbongiv

Trust me when I say this article saved my sanity! I had roughly 26GB of music from throughout the years and pulled most of my hair out trying to rack my brain bc I knew there had to be something not synching correctly. Even if you have Sync Library checked, it wouldn't hurt to go through this article, step by step. I had a couple thousand songs that wasn't checked and that is why they were greyed out on my phone.

I really hope this works!

If your songs are grayed out - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2022 10:26 PM in response to sbongiv

I'm so sorry I haven't responded sooner! Here some info on the cloud status, which I am sure you located already Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support.

To answer what I can; Apple Music status would mean they are sitting "in the cloud". (It could also mean both the mac & the cloud if you had them downloaded)

The songs that have error, I would guess that there are some corrupt files making it throw the error code. I would delete them & redownload them. The ones in waiting may start to change to either an error code or Apple Music once you start getting rid of some of the corrupt files.

I really hope this helps. When things moved from itunes to apple music a few years ago, I had myself a mess! It took me a little bit to get it straight but so worth it!

Jun 3, 2022 5:25 PM in response to 1AppL3User2AnotHER

Thank you for your prompt response. You seem to understand exactly what I'm going through. I'm going through the articles from your link. So far, I've been able to get to see cloud status on the Music app (Songs tab) on my Mac. About 80% of the songs have Apple Music as the status. The rest are either Waiting or Error (about equal numbers). Another few songs are Uploaded. I take it that those with Uploaded status are solely on iCloud. Do you know whether those marked Apple Music sit on my Mac or iCloud (or possibly both)? How do I deal with those in Waiting and Error statuses? I'm continuing to read but haven't yet come across info on how to resolve these issues or how to play the songs on my Mac on my iPhone X as well. I so appreciate your help.

Sync music to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.