Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using late 2009 21.5” iMac as screen for Toshiba windows 10 laptop

I’ve been deep in forums to find an answer for this, but keep getting different information:

Can I connect my Toshiba laptop to my late 2009 21.5” imac using a HDMI to mini display port cable so that I can use the iMac as a screen for my laptop? I don’t want it be be a second screen, just a mirror display of what is on the laptop, so I can keep the laptop closed. I don’t need it to work the other way so it would just be HDMI to mini display, not the other way around. Target display mode isn’t available for the iMac I have. Is this possible using just a cable?

I know this isn’t what they’re designed for, but I’m hoping I can give the iMac a bit longer life using it as a screen, and saving my eyesight from looking at the laptop :)

I appreciate any help!

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 3:53 AM

No sorry, a Late 2009 21.5" iMac never supported Target Display Mode even with another qualified Mac.

carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You're best bet, is to sell or recycle the old iMac and get an after market display for your Toshiba laptop.

3 replies

Using late 2009 21.5” iMac as screen for Toshiba windows 10 laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.