Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heart rate greyed out in workout view, but the heart rate app gets a reading immediately

When I open the Workout app, sometimes the heart rate is greyed out and just seems to stay that way indefinitely. However, when I switch to the Heart Rate app, I immediately get a reading, which carries over to the Workout app.

I have workout power saving mode turned off.

I found this thread in here with a similar topic, but the answer given there centers on what might prevent getting a good reading. As mentioned, the watch seems to get a reading just fine in the Heart Rate app. It is like the Workout app just needs to be "woken up"...

Am I doing something wrong here, or is the Apple Watch just behaving like a Microsoft product?

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 3:10 AM

On your iPhone, go to Settings/Privacy/Motion & Fitness and check that both Fitness Tracking and Health are On.

Open your iPhone’s Watch app and go to Workout and make sure that Workout Power Saving Mode is Off.

Next, go to Privacy and check that both Heart Rate and Fitness Tracking are both On.

Finally, go to Passcode and check that Wrist Detection is On.

If any of these settings are incorrect, they will prevent your watch from reading your heart rate during a workout. Set them correctly, and test your watch again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2022 3:10 AM in response to eplefrikk

On your iPhone, go to Settings/Privacy/Motion & Fitness and check that both Fitness Tracking and Health are On.

Open your iPhone’s Watch app and go to Workout and make sure that Workout Power Saving Mode is Off.

Next, go to Privacy and check that both Heart Rate and Fitness Tracking are both On.

Finally, go to Passcode and check that Wrist Detection is On.

If any of these settings are incorrect, they will prevent your watch from reading your heart rate during a workout. Set them correctly, and test your watch again.

Heart rate greyed out in workout view, but the heart rate app gets a reading immediately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.