Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not see my CD Drive even after I load a CD - Mojave

I still have a Mac Pro 2013 using Mojave. I hook up my external CD Drive spin-up an audio disc and I see NOTHING on my Mac to access the audio.

I know Apple is clearly trying to force us into exclusive iTunes audio, but many of us have a lifetime of CDs that are NOT exclusive to commercial releases or the digital download world.

I really wish you cared more about servicing your patron's needs, both current and modern, and cared about our legacy needs and compatibility as well!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 8:36 PM

The fact that it's not working on two different Macs on two different versions of macOS leads me to believe the drive may have failed, or at least the cable.

FWIW, I still have an old Apple SuperDrive and it still works on 2011 to 2020 Macs running High Sierra to Monterey.

Perhaps someone else will have an idea.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 4, 2022 4:29 PM in response to demayonline

demayonline wrote:

I still have a Mac Pro 2013 using Mojave. I hook up my external CD Drive spin-up an audio disc and I see NOTHING on my Mac to access the audio.

Which CD drive do you have and does the CD appear on the desktop?

I know Apple is clearly trying to force us into exclusive iTunes audio, but many of us have a lifetime of CDs that are NOT exclusive to commercial releases or the digital download world.

Apple isn't forcing anyone to use iTunes, for one thing iTunes was replaced by Music.

I really wish you cared more about servicing your patron's needs, both current and modern, and cared about our legacy needs and compatibility as well!

Apple is not here. This is a user forum.

Jun 5, 2022 7:35 PM in response to dialabrain

It's not an Apple External CD and DVD drive. It's a Samsung Model SE-208. It has worked in the past on my El Capitan OS on my Mac Pro because I have audio clients who ask me to burn CDs and DVDs for them on occasion.

Apparently, there have been some updates even to El Capitan, which is still the OS on my MacBook Pro, because I can't even see the DVD/CD drive appear on my MacBook when I plug it in and spin up an audio CD.

With regard to whether Mac's streaming and media management platform is now "Music" or "iTunes," I know that I have an iTunes icon that I click on and I get the streaming interface.

I'm not being snippy, but I'm simply frustrated that if things are changed, whatever they are, that legacy media seems to not be supported or backward compatible, and Mac is supposed to be THE media OS.

That said, I would appreciate any help, and perhaps because I'm still looking at iTunes, maybe I need to be guided to "Music." Not an easy search query. "Music" isn't an easy topic to isolate specific discussions on.

Any help is again appreciated.

Why can I not see my CD Drive even after I load a CD - Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.