Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 'Mail App' using too much storage space

My iPhone 'Mail App' is simply using too much storage space (6 GB!!!). I use Gmail which is using somewhere over 2.5 GB. On Apple Mail app it shows the 'App Size' = 12.8 MB but 'Documents and Data' is using 5.99 GB! How do I free up that storage space?

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 7:26 AM

I did go through Settings > General > Storage and came to 'Mail' which shows App Size taking up 12,8 MB and Documents & Data taking up 5,99 GB. It gives me the option to 'Offload App' which I've tried and to 'Delete App' which I have also tried. When I reinstall the Mail app, the 5,99 GB 'Document & Data' are still there! There is no way for me to go from there see what those 'Documents and Data' are exactly. 6 GB of space is a lot for a device which is either 16 GB total or even 64 GB for that matter.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 7:26 AM in response to Community User

I did go through Settings > General > Storage and came to 'Mail' which shows App Size taking up 12,8 MB and Documents & Data taking up 5,99 GB. It gives me the option to 'Offload App' which I've tried and to 'Delete App' which I have also tried. When I reinstall the Mail app, the 5,99 GB 'Document & Data' are still there! There is no way for me to go from there see what those 'Documents and Data' are exactly. 6 GB of space is a lot for a device which is either 16 GB total or even 64 GB for that matter.

Jun 6, 2022 7:02 AM in response to johnwro55

Hello johnwro55,

The iPhone provide's recommendations to free up the storage on your iPhone as shown in this article:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Use your device to check its storage
Go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage. You might see a list of recommendations for optimizing your device's storage, followed by a list of installed apps and the amount of storage each one uses. Tap an app's name for more information about its storage. Cached data and temporary data might not be counted as usage.
In the detailed view you can:
• Offload the app, which frees up storage used by the app, but keeps its documents and data.
• Delete the app, which removes the app and its related data.
• Depending on the app, you might be able to delete some of its documents and data.
If your device is almost full and can't free up space, you might get a Storage Almost Full alert. If you see this alert, you should check the storage recommendations or you need to offload some less-used content like videos and apps. 

Best Regards.

iPhone 'Mail App' using too much storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.