Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login password

Inherited MacBook, former owner set login to "NEW" and no password. Try to load new software and installer wants admin password to install. No idea can't change or add new admin cause window wants a password to unlock the lock. Can someone please be my hero and give me some ideas.

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro 17″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 7:08 AM

fr8god wrote:

Inherited MacBook, former owner set login to "NEW" and no password. Try to load new software and installer wants admin password to install. No idea can't change or add new admin cause window wants a password to unlock the lock. Can someone please be my hero and give me some ideas.
Thank you in advance!

On a Intel Mac hold the Option key to boot, if the Mac shows you a LOCK— the "firmware lock " is enabled.

Not good for you since it was not prepared correctly for "resale/inherit"

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

See the article: Firmware password protection in an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider ( https://locate.apple.com/?apt_Flag=true )

Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

---------------------

FileVault password—Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple ...

How does FileVault encryption work on a Mac? - Apple Support

------------------

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 7:08 AM in response to fr8god

fr8god wrote:

Thank you in advance!

On a Intel Mac hold the Option key to boot, if the Mac shows you a LOCK— the "firmware lock " is enabled.

Not good for you since it was not prepared correctly for "resale/inherit"

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

See the article: Firmware password protection in an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider ( https://locate.apple.com/?apt_Flag=true )

Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

---------------------

FileVault password—Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple ...

How does FileVault encryption work on a Mac? - Apple Support

------------------

Login password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.