Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatible MP3 player for new 2022 Mac Book Pro

Hello All,

i have a massive library of songs and albums in my “Apple Music” app. This was carried over from my previous iTunes library.. Much of the music catalog in my new “music app” are not purchases but transfers of my own collection. Storing them in a cloud or something, so I can access from any of of devices isn’t an option because if the size of the catalog.

Unfortunately my 160gb iPod is not compatible with the new Mac book. What brands or models would be considered “compatible” as plug-in and go with the new “Apple Music” app? Or is it true that Apple does not recognize other external mp3 external devices other than Apple items? Apple no longer has an external MP3 player with 160gb. Nor does it sync up with “Apple Music” .

any help would be much appreciated as I am currently still utilizing my previous MacBook with iTunes. When I acquire new music it goes into my iTunes liberty so I can upload into my iPod. I’d like to start using my new MacBook for this but how if it doesn’t recognize iPods or iTunes or other external MP3 players.

thank you!!

~Lifer 🎧

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 2:03 PM

Or is it true that Apple does not recognize other external mp3 external devices other than Apple items?

Flores,

The automatic syncing capability only works on iPod/iPhone/iPad. However, if your iTunes/Music library has non-protected audio files in a compatible format (usually MP3 or AAC) those files can be used in non-Apple players. Follow the instructions for the player.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 2:03 PM in response to flores6363

Or is it true that Apple does not recognize other external mp3 external devices other than Apple items?

Flores,

The automatic syncing capability only works on iPod/iPhone/iPad. However, if your iTunes/Music library has non-protected audio files in a compatible format (usually MP3 or AAC) those files can be used in non-Apple players. Follow the instructions for the player.

Jun 6, 2022 4:39 AM in response to flores6363

Flores,

Correct, the Apple Music app will not help you sync with a non-Apple player. But if you have a library of audio files on your computer, you can use them in a non-Apple player.

By the way, per your original post, are you sure "160gb iPod is not compatible with the new Mac book" is a correct statement? Although Apple has ceased selling iPods, I am not aware that the existing ones have gone incompatible. Please check that out before you make a buying decision.

Jun 7, 2022 6:14 PM in response to ed2345

@ed2345

..."are you sure "160gb iPod is not compatible with the new Mac book" is a correct statement?"

Yes it is true.

The 160gb iPod is no longer compatible with Apple Music on the new Mac Book pro's. I will have to find another MP3 player brand that is compatible with my Apple Music Library. Or maybe another option would be is to look into other resources outside of Apple Music that will sync up with the iPod and or other brands. A choir I was not interested in pursuing.

Thank you for the reply!

Jun 11, 2022 8:14 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello @Turingtest2,

I have read your post before in regards to Apple Music's compatibility with the classic instruments. To my understanding, it was acknowledged that Apple Music (replacing iTunes) does not sync up with the 160gb iPod. Your reply above states otherwise. Can you share the link how to use this magic? Or a step by step if there isn't one already.

Thank you!

Compatible MP3 player for new 2022 Mac Book Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.