Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro with M1 Pro possible to two external monitors

Hi, I would like to extend MacBook Pro 14 inch with M1 Pro by two externals monitors. Can I connect one monitor with internal HDMI port and second with external doc/hub (with adapter from thunderbolt to hdmi) and is it should works ?

or I need to buy doc with two hdmi ports from thunderbolt?

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 11:11 AM

<< Is it enough dock with among others one hdmi port and for the second monitor I will can use internal hdmi? >>

In general, Yes.

Iif you want fully-hardware-accelerated displays, just avoid selecting a dock sold as "DisplayLink". DisplayLink adds a "fake" display without full acceleration.

To have two fully-hardware-accelerated displays with BOTH hung off the Dock, requires a genuine ThunderBolt Dock, and and those are more expensive.

One on an HDMI cable and one on a Dock allows you to use almost any Dock.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 11:11 AM in response to mattTeddy

<< Is it enough dock with among others one hdmi port and for the second monitor I will can use internal hdmi? >>

In general, Yes.

Iif you want fully-hardware-accelerated displays, just avoid selecting a dock sold as "DisplayLink". DisplayLink adds a "fake" display without full acceleration.

To have two fully-hardware-accelerated displays with BOTH hung off the Dock, requires a genuine ThunderBolt Dock, and and those are more expensive.

One on an HDMI cable and one on a Dock allows you to use almost any Dock.

Jun 5, 2022 1:37 PM in response to mattTeddy

That Hub takes over the entire right side and connects with TWO USB-C ports, so it can support one HDMI display there, plas another dimply on its USB-C port, if that is the setup you like. You can slo use the HDMI or thunderBolt on the right side to drive a display, but you are limited to TWO fully-hardware-accelerated displays (for M1 Pro models).

Also, you paid dearly for the very nice built-in display -- you can use the built-in at the same time.

MacBook Pro with M1 Pro possible to two external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.