Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting two external monitors to MacBook Pro

Hi,

I have not been able to find a clear answer on this on the net so thought would ask here.

I am looking at connecting my MacBook Pro with 4 thunderbolt ports to two external monitors to extend the desktop to both.

I will be using HDMI to do this so I understand that 1 thunderbolt port can be used to extend desktop to one screen and you cannot use one thunderbolt port to extend to multiple monitors?

Any help would be great.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 2:28 PM

Which year of MacBook Pro? The MacBook Pro 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 all have four Thunderbolt port models available...

Here’s how to Use multiple displays with your Mac - Apple Support

Here’s a previous similar discussion about the Maximum number of Monitors - Apple Community

External display support numbers and resolution varies by model and year.

The DisplayPort connection must be the last device in the Thunderbolt daisy-chain, so one DisplayPort device per Thunderbolt, yes.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 2:28 PM in response to williamgood

Which year of MacBook Pro? The MacBook Pro 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 all have four Thunderbolt port models available...

Here’s how to Use multiple displays with your Mac - Apple Support

Here’s a previous similar discussion about the Maximum number of Monitors - Apple Community

External display support numbers and resolution varies by model and year.

The DisplayPort connection must be the last device in the Thunderbolt daisy-chain, so one DisplayPort device per Thunderbolt, yes.

Apr 12, 2020 2:31 PM in response to williamgood

It is possible to extend to other monitors but your model of MacBook Pro does not have an HDMI port, you need an adapter which can be found here. Hope this helps.

Connecting two external monitors to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.