Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting a 2012 year MacBook Pro 13" to external monitors

Hi,

• I have a 2012 year MacBook Pro 13" running Windows 10 software via Bootcamp
  • I want to connect it to 2 additional external monitors
  • eg: use the existing MacBook Pro screen *plus* two external 24" monitors
  • eg: allowing me to have 3 different programs open - not the same program on all 3 screens
  • can this be done from the Mac's single thunderbolt port via an adaptor to 2 HDMI connectors?
  • or can anyone recommend what tool/adaptor/docking station they have successfully used for this?
  • I fear my MacBook Pro may be too old to support this (2012)

Many thanks for any pointers!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 7:11 PM

4 replies

Jan 10, 2020 10:46 PM in response to kaz-k

Many thanks kaz-k ...... what do you mean by 'daisy chain'?

1 - single thunderbolt connection at laptop to a two-way HDMI splitter that sends an HDMI cable to each monitor?

or

2 - single thunderbolt connection at laptop to a single HDMI connection straight to monitor 1 and then connect monitor 1 to monitor 2?

Sorry, not good at this ... hence this post. Thx again.

Jan 11, 2020 3:38 AM in response to bne_user

Hi,

Please read following document about Daisy Chain connection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_chain_(electrical_engineering)

I think No.1 and No.2 connections you describe don't work.

Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter to connect one monitor works, though I'm not sure it's available. Also if your monitor has Thunderbolt port, connect monitor and MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable which should works.

As a matter of fact, I have mid 2012 13inch MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt monitor which connect each other via Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable which is working perfectly.

connecting a 2012 year MacBook Pro 13" to external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.