Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passwordless email accounts

I removed all passwords from my outlook email accounts and changed to 2 factor sign in using authenticator Apps on my devices, how can I set the Apple email Apps on my iPad and iPhone to work with the athenticator Apps to sign in?

I do not want to go back to using passwords.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 6:33 AM

Hello

Thank you for your reply.

I got it to work, I was using the Apple mail app and after clicking on the prompt to enter password I got the prompt to request to authenticate using the App.

Regards

Ed

3 replies

Jun 6, 2022 3:51 AM in response to edgg1

Fully eliminating use of account passwords can be problematic - even when using two factor authentication.

Are you intending to use the native Mail App, or other third-party Mail client with your iPad?

Assuming that you intend to use the Apple Mail App, when adding an email account using the Add Account wizard, your iPad will automagically select the most appropriate mail settings and authentication method for the chosen email provider.

In common with many other Mail providers, Microsoft Outlook and Hotmail accounts now use App Specific Passwords to access IMAP or POP3 mailboxes from (in this case non-Microsoft) mail Apps.

The Mail App on each of your devices, such as your iPad, requires a unique password to be generated from within the Microsoft account. To do so, you’ll need to sign-in to your Microsoft account from a we-browser. Note that the system generated App Specific password will intentionally differ from your Microsoft account password - and can only be used to access your Microsoft mail.

More information about Microsoft’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/using-app-passwords-with-apps-that-don-t-support-two-step-verification-5896ed9b-4263-e681-128a-a6f2979a7944

If you instead to intend to use the Microsoft Outlook App, you will likely find that you will be able use the Microsoft Authenticator App integration.

Passwordless email accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.