Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch fall detection

Twice I have received a notice from my Apple Watch saying it has detected a fall. I had to choose if I was OK or if I needed help. The issue is I was standing up both times. I don’t recall doing anything out of how I normally move about the house that would have prompted this.

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 5:33 AM

Fall Detection.

A fall is detected by the gyroscope and accelerometer and can give false readings if you're a particulary active or younger person which is why it's recommended for people over 65,it's usually triggered by a short sharp knock with your watch wrist,to compare it's like banging your clenched fist on a table,the movement of your wrist is detected then it comes to a sudden stop and this usually triggers the fall detection.

One reason the watch may not detect a fall is if your watch wrist is somehow cushioned from the fall and the watch doesn't detect that short sharp knock.

Another reason could be that the watch is worn a little bit too loose and the wrist movements aren't being detected properly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 5:33 AM in response to kk-ak

Fall Detection.

A fall is detected by the gyroscope and accelerometer and can give false readings if you're a particulary active or younger person which is why it's recommended for people over 65,it's usually triggered by a short sharp knock with your watch wrist,to compare it's like banging your clenched fist on a table,the movement of your wrist is detected then it comes to a sudden stop and this usually triggers the fall detection.

One reason the watch may not detect a fall is if your watch wrist is somehow cushioned from the fall and the watch doesn't detect that short sharp knock.

Another reason could be that the watch is worn a little bit too loose and the wrist movements aren't being detected properly.

Apple Watch fall detection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.