Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rotating video clips

I have some video clips that are tilted about 5 to 10 degrees from vertical due to a gimbal misalignment. I need to rotate the videos but NOT a full 90 degrees. Can I do this in iMovie? If not is there a way to do this?

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 3:14 PM

Unfortunately it is not possible in iMovie to rotate a clip in increments less than 90 degrees.

However, you can put the clip into the free Keynote app on your Mac. Follow the Keynote Help instructions. Basically, just open one of the templates, delete all of the default text, and drag your clip into the screen. Then click on Arrange and you will see a rotate option with a little rotatation wheel that will let you rotate the clip in any increments that you want. Then save as a movie and import the movie into your iMovie project. The tilted clip sill appear in the timeline.

In keynote:

In iMovie :

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 3:14 PM in response to Gen3272k

Unfortunately it is not possible in iMovie to rotate a clip in increments less than 90 degrees.

However, you can put the clip into the free Keynote app on your Mac. Follow the Keynote Help instructions. Basically, just open one of the templates, delete all of the default text, and drag your clip into the screen. Then click on Arrange and you will see a rotate option with a little rotatation wheel that will let you rotate the clip in any increments that you want. Then save as a movie and import the movie into your iMovie project. The tilted clip sill appear in the timeline.

In keynote:

In iMovie :

-- Rich

Jun 7, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Rich839

Rich,

This is exactly what I needed. This works in Keynote so I didn't need to buy additional software. I went through the steps you show and then after bringing it back into iMovie I had to then crop the video clip so that the background didn't show the skewed frame at the edges. But iMovie has a crop command (and I don't think you can do the cropping in Keynote unless I am missing something).

thanks

Rotating video clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.