Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm not able to click on some menu options on MacBook Air

In the last few weeks my MacBook has had an odd issue where I am able to click on most things, but when I go into a few menus it won't allow me to select or click on anything, or even exit the menu (I have to ESC to leave it). A couple of examples:

1) I've tried to attach files to emails and when I click attach the usual file window pops up, but I'm not able to click into any of my folders to change the location that I'm searching in

2) I went to settings to check my trackpad settings, just in case there was something easy - I was able to click on everything in the Trackpad tab, but when I navigated to the General tab, I couldn't click on anything

Also, I don't know if this is also related but when I try to click on links in emails, it selects them but an error box pops up to say that it can't be opened. Default browser is Firefox at the moment if that makes a difference.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 4:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 9:37 AM

Q - " Also, I don't know if this is also related but when I try to click on links in emails, it selects them but an error box pops up to say that it can't be opened. Default browser is Firefox at the moment if that makes a difference. "

A - And yes, make Safari the default Browser

Q - Is this accurate as per user Profile MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

A - Suggest updating to current version 12.4 as this could be related to the other computer issues

A - In good conscience, suggest Make Time Machine Backup   before updating, if not already running Money 12.4

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2022 9:37 AM in response to CC-75

Q - " Also, I don't know if this is also related but when I try to click on links in emails, it selects them but an error box pops up to say that it can't be opened. Default browser is Firefox at the moment if that makes a difference. "

A - And yes, make Safari the default Browser

Q - Is this accurate as per user Profile MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

A - Suggest updating to current version 12.4 as this could be related to the other computer issues

A - In good conscience, suggest Make Time Machine Backup   before updating, if not already running Money 12.4

Jun 7, 2022 3:13 PM in response to CC-75

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

That being said uninstall CleanMyMac according to the developer's instructions.

Jun 8, 2022 1:39 AM in response to CC-75

A Fast look and the Etrecheck Report that @ Luis S. suggested.

CleanMyMac X.app

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This will include CleanMyMac and read some of the may posting specific to this Application and the damages it has done and is doing

There has been sufficient advise / suggestions offered, from more than one source, for the User to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Jun 8, 2022 1:24 AM in response to CC-75

+1 on what Old Toad wrote.

You have trusteer and cleanmymac, and this is causing trouble.

Read the text that Old Toad linked to about effective defenses.

Also: you have very old stuff. Do you really use Blackberry? This stuff was built with the 10.7 SDK, so over a decade old... and most likely just a remnant of old days.

Look at all the system extensions - they are mostly very old:

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Extensions

[Not Loaded] BlackBerryUSBCDCNCM.kext - com.BlackBerry.driver.USBCDCNCM (1.0.14 - SDK 10.7)

[Not Loaded] FTDIKext.kext - com.FTDI.driver.D2XXHelper (1.0 - SDK 10.12)

[Not Loaded] JMicronATA.kext - com.jmicron.JMicronATA (1.1.6)

[Not Loaded] RIMBBUSB.kext - com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverInt (2.2.16 - SDK 10.7)

[Not Loaded] BlackBerryVirtualPrivateNetwork.kext - com.rim.driver.BlackBerryVirtualPrivateNetwork (1.0.18 - SDK 10.8)

[Not Loaded] SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext - com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver64 (3.0.0d1)

[Not Loaded] Wacom Tablet.kext - com.wacom.kext.wacomtablet (Wacom Tablet 6.3.24-1 - SDK 10.12)

[Not Loaded] BJUSBLoad.kext - jp.co.canon.bj.print.BJUSBLoad (10.75.21 - SDK 10.8)

[Not Loaded] CIJUSBLoad.kext - jp.co.canon.ij.print.CIJUSBLoad (16.0.10 - SDK 10.9)

You should consider doing a full backup, then erase and install a clean system, and migrate ONLY the user accounts.

Old cruft that accumulates over the years is bound to fail at some point.

Jun 8, 2022 1:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for taking time to look at this - I've removed Cleanmymac and the Blackberry things at the same time, and now everything seems to be working again, so thanks again for all your help. I changed my mac over last year so i guess i just bought across all the old things with it for ease. I'll look at the back up and reinstall - is a cloud backup sufficient or is it better to do a time machine to a hard drive as suggested above? I'm really grateful for the help as I'm a bit nervous about digging into the depths of things as I don't want to risk messing up what I use for my business.

I'm not able to click on some menu options on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.