Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone have a work-around for the Apple Revenge that Google is perpetrating?

Apple did this 5 years ago, with unrelenting 2 factor authorization for 3rd party apps. Now Google is doing it. It's us poor users who are stuck in the middle of this ******* match. Apple mail would work IF Apple updated it so that the POP setting would use AOuth or something like that.

Does anyone have a work-around to make this work WITHOUT going to 2 factor?

This is SO ANNOYING. Especially as almost all my Mac computers have gmail for their Apple ID.

Don't ask - it's complicated.

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 10:12 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 7, 2022 1:48 PM in response to EllenBEX

EllenBEX wrote:

Not a good solution, if you don't have 2 devices. Can't set up 2 factor. Can't get app specific passwords. Now what?

That's not true. The "two" in Two Factor Authentication doesn't refer to two devices. It refers to the two factors (password and code) required to log into an account. With an Apple ID, your computer can be a trusted device. As I recall, the same is true with Google.

Jun 8, 2022 3:19 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Actually, you must have 2 devices to set it up. I used an office land line. After that, there is a place to generate, print and download 10 8 digit codes that you can enter if you don't have your phone.

I was able to create a 16 character RA# passcode, but it still did not work in Mail (El Cap). I'm using POP.

update: I rebooted, signed out and back in and used one of my passcodes go get back into my account. Hand entered the password. Here's the freaky thing: The SMTP is connecting. The POP is not. So, pretty useless.

So, I am going to try to undo it, but you can create if you have temporary access to a 2nd device.

Wish me luck.

Does anyone have a work-around for the Apple Revenge that Google is perpetrating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.