Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail accounts in macOS Mail failing authentication

I've noticed this morning that all my Gmail accounts in Mail are failing authentication again. This last happened a number of years back - perhaps with Mojave or even earlier. I recall a lot of discussion with various discussions blaming Google for making changes and others blaming Apple - in the end, from my perspective the culprit seemed to be Google but neither company ever commented that I saw.

The symptom is that I'm told to re-enter passwords for linked Gmail accounts, which then does the "we need to authenticate via Safari" thing, I enter the correct password but the confirmation is never passed back from Google.

Anyone else seeing this?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 2:59 PM

OK have just re-tried - did not restart Mail or reset router - just tried again. The issue I was experiencing was the over several hours and was exactly the same experience as many had some time back.

Now when I've entered Gmail account passwords into the Safari pop up, Google has either returned correctly as expected, and/or ask me to confirm I'm happy to allow macOS access.

I suspect Google played with some stuff, realised they'd screwed up, and have now corrected it.

Nice to have working accounts again which I can use in Mail rather than via browser access.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2020 2:59 PM in response to andrewbr

OK have just re-tried - did not restart Mail or reset router - just tried again. The issue I was experiencing was the over several hours and was exactly the same experience as many had some time back.

Now when I've entered Gmail account passwords into the Safari pop up, Google has either returned correctly as expected, and/or ask me to confirm I'm happy to allow macOS access.

I suspect Google played with some stuff, realised they'd screwed up, and have now corrected it.

Nice to have working accounts again which I can use in Mail rather than via browser access.

Gmail accounts in macOS Mail failing authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.