Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Google requires completing authentication in your web browser."

In my Apple Mail 13.4 and OS 10.15.7 the above message keeps popping up for my Gmail account.

I saw on the forum that there are 11 posts with exactly the same problem.

No logical answer or fix to be found.

When going in System Preferences -> Internet Accounts -> My Gmail account, there is nowhere the Password to be filled in/corrected/or changed.

The pop up window that supposed to lead to the "Google Authentication" offers only Safari, but when clicking on it, it disappears and nothing happens.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 9:48 AM

I deleted many times my gmail account from Apple's mail.app but the problem comes back after adding Gmail back. Happens to numerous others as to be seen in their posts. This is at least a 4 years old, by Apple neglected issue for hundreds even thousands of users, regardless of our OS updates. The mail app was always unreliable and freezes often, wrong commuication pop ups (not leading to be resolved with Safari) and often need to be solved with Force Quit.

Gmail works wonderfully through the Chrome Browser (directly), but I need to use Apple's mail.app because I have so many email accounts, which are consolidated in mail.app

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 9:48 AM in response to leroydouglas

I deleted many times my gmail account from Apple's mail.app but the problem comes back after adding Gmail back. Happens to numerous others as to be seen in their posts. This is at least a 4 years old, by Apple neglected issue for hundreds even thousands of users, regardless of our OS updates. The mail app was always unreliable and freezes often, wrong commuication pop ups (not leading to be resolved with Safari) and often need to be solved with Force Quit.

Gmail works wonderfully through the Chrome Browser (directly), but I need to use Apple's mail.app because I have so many email accounts, which are consolidated in mail.app

Jan 6, 2021 9:26 AM in response to gregorreti

gregorreti wrote:

In my Apple Mail 13.4 and OS 10.15.7 the above message keeps popping up for my Gmail account.
I saw on the forum that there are 11 posts with exactly the same problem.
No logical answer or fix to be found.
When going in System Preferences -> Internet Accounts -> My Gmail account, there is nowhere the Password to be filled in/corrected/or changed.
The pop up window that supposed to lead to the "Google Authentication" offers only Safari, but when clicking on it, it disappears and nothing happens.

I am not sure if I undersatand— this is all in relation to you trying to access your Gmail through the "browser." (?)

On the other hand if this through your Mail.app— the basic trouble shooting step is to delete the account then add it back in again to sort anomalies.

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

HTML stays on the server— so no loss

On My Mac stays on the Mac.

"Google requires completing authentication in your web browser."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.