Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail Stopped Working - Google requires completing authentication in your web browser

Gmail has suddenly stopped supplying emails and won't connect. I've tried removing the Google email address from my Mac and then adding back in - It gives me a message "Google requires completing authentication in your web browser." but when I click the option to do this it just hangs there. I've logged in separately on Gmail and thats working fine. No option to do anything about it. I did note that it seemed to want me to open this Authentication in Safari but I've tried that to no avail. Any ideas please?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 2:13 PM

Resolved - I opened Safari and in preferences made that the default browser - I went through the Add Account procedure in Mail again but this time it opened a box allowing me to setup my Google Mail account (email address/password etc) - Google messaged advising of a new sign in etc, all confirmed and now working fine

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2023 2:13 PM in response to eyephone5c

Resolved - I opened Safari and in preferences made that the default browser - I went through the Add Account procedure in Mail again but this time it opened a box allowing me to setup my Google Mail account (email address/password etc) - Google messaged advising of a new sign in etc, all confirmed and now working fine

Gmail Stopped Working - Google requires completing authentication in your web browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.