Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

google requires completing authentication in your web browser

Just started getting this message and Mail is not connecting to gmail accounts. OS 12.4.

While this problem appears to have been addressed long ago, I don't see any recent updates.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 10:01 AM

3 replies

Jul 14, 2022 11:42 AM in response to DonMatt

Hello DonMatt,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We recommend logging on to your email account through webmail to make sure there are no problems with your account settings or the servers. The additional steps in the following resource can help when your Mail account is inactive: If a mailbox is offline in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know the results. Be sure to include additional error messages and any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

Jul 15, 2022 2:54 PM in response to JovonaP.

I can use Safari, then Google login, then get to any of my Gmail accounts, so I was finally able to get to the email telling me of your reply.

So using "webmail" works.

Just a reminder that this problem has started very recently and I have no new apps. I don't recall exactly when I updated to 12.4.

So, when I go into Mail it shows no gmail accounts connected and when I try to connect to that same account that I got to through webmail, or I click on that account in Settings/Internet Accounts, it tells me "Google requires completing authentication in your web browser", which then fails when I click on Open Browser. It won't even let me add a new Google account to Internet Accounts, telling me the same "Google requires ..." and then resulting in 'Authentication Failed. Failed to authenticate with Google, please try again later."

Of course, by now, I've "tried again later" many, many times.

While the problem impacts Mail, it appears to be rooted in a problem with Internet Accounts if it won't even let me try to start adding a Google account - I never even get to an email and password request screen.

google requires completing authentication in your web browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.