Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can't add Gmail account to mail accounts on MacBook

Every time I try to add my Gmail account, I get a message saying 'Google requires completing authentication in your web browser'. When I click 'open browser'but nothing happens. Chrome is my default browser but it doesn't open, and when I open my account there is nothing that helps. Safari doesn't open either. I have turned off authentication in my Google account but it makes no difference. This is a real pain. It used to work! Can anyone help please?

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 7:01 AM

It is not clear to me whether you changed your default browser to Safari or not. According to Can't add google account to Monterey - Apple Community you need to be using Safari as your default browser for that particular Google authentication to work.

To change your default browser, read Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac - Apple Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2023 7:01 AM in response to ChrissieO23

It is not clear to me whether you changed your default browser to Safari or not. According to Can't add google account to Monterey - Apple Community you need to be using Safari as your default browser for that particular Google authentication to work.

To change your default browser, read Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac - Apple Support.

Can't add Gmail account to mail accounts on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.