Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro M1 14" vs new Macbook Air M2

I'm looking to get either Macbook Pro M1 14" or the new Macbook Air M2. I know the MacBook Air just came out, but is anyone aware of how they would compare or can you direct me to a comparison?

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 11:29 AM

See here for comparisons: https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=MacBook-Air-M1,MacBook-Air-M2,MacBook-Pro-14

Spoilers: The M1 14" MBP is still a slightly better purchase.

13 replies

Jun 25, 2022 10:28 AM in response to tlight11

What more needs to be explained when it has been posted the MacBook Pro M1 14" has:

• Fans
  • More USB Thunderbolt ports.
  • A dedicated HDMI port
  • A full size SDXC Card Reader
  • A brighter screen
  • Higher core CPU
  • Better GPU
  • Higher RAM options

What more do you need to know?

At the end of the day, what matters to you may be different. You should purchase the device which you think best meets your needs. I wouldn't let a newer chip cloud my vision. In real world use, it's not going to make a significant difference.

Jun 7, 2022 12:05 PM in response to John C Lin

John C Lin wrote:

Super helpful thanks!

Could you explain what the MBP 14 offers that the the MBA doesn’t?

This 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻

lobsterghost1 wrote:

It has fans for one thing. More USB Thunderbolt ports. A dedicated HDMI port and full size SDXC Card Reader. A brighter screen and a higher core CPU, just to name some differences.

Also, better CPU, GPU and RAM options if you have the budget. And yes an overall larger, better, brighter screen.

Jun 25, 2022 12:02 PM in response to John C Lin

The question you did not ask is, "better FOR WHAT PURPOSES" ??

web surfing and email -- any of these will be excellent -- buy the least expensive.

Producing cinematic quality movies for commercial release in Theaters? The high end 14-in is better.

Supporting more than ONE external display? ONLY the high-end model can be used for that purpose.

In every case, AVOID:

• models with less than 16GB RAM (because part of main memory is used for display memory)

• models with less than 500-ish GB drives -- these are students-ONLY models, intended for users who will store essentially ALL their files elsewhere, such as on google Docs. Regular folks who ever photograph anything are better served by 1,000GB or larger drives built in.

Macbook Pro M1 14" vs new Macbook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.