Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone Jack Stopped Working- iMac 24" M1

All of a sudden, my plug-in speakers stopped working. I checked all connections, and it did not work.

There is hum and feedback while plugging the connection in and out- but no sound when fully plugged in.

I plugged in a pair of headphones into the jack, and it, too does not work.

Rebooting does not help.

The built-in speakers are working.

Is there a setting to change?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 8:44 AM

I had this problem on my Apple Mac-mini 1M with Macos Monterey 12.4.

I tried starting up in safe mode. That is not easy, because when you keep the power button pressed the Mac-mini shuts down.

After a couple of times trying to boot in safe mode, it succeeded. After that my earphone jack worked again. Nobody knows why this output stopped working. I hope that it keeps working, because my audio system relies on it. I really don't like bluetooth for an audio connection.

I found the safe-mode reboot trick to fix the not-working earphones jack in this post: M1 Mac Mini headphone jack not working - Apple Community

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2022 8:44 AM in response to kennethfromeast windsor

I had this problem on my Apple Mac-mini 1M with Macos Monterey 12.4.

I tried starting up in safe mode. That is not easy, because when you keep the power button pressed the Mac-mini shuts down.

After a couple of times trying to boot in safe mode, it succeeded. After that my earphone jack worked again. Nobody knows why this output stopped working. I hope that it keeps working, because my audio system relies on it. I really don't like bluetooth for an audio connection.

I found the safe-mode reboot trick to fix the not-working earphones jack in this post: M1 Mac Mini headphone jack not working - Apple Community

Jul 5, 2022 9:00 PM in response to Mal-S

I’m still interested why the earphone output stopped working. I have never had this experience before that operation of peripherals connected with a Macintosh stop suddenly.

To check the chain is a little frustrating. I trust Apple hard- en software. So I hope that there will be fix to this. Restarting computers is so Windows PC like.

Headphone Jack Stopped Working- iMac 24" M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.