Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a late 2006 24” iMac and have forgotten the password.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew how to reset the password and username on a late 2006 model iMac. I would also like to keep the files on this. I’ve tried a few ways but none of them have worked. Please help.

This is running on the legacy iMac operation system: Mac OS X.

Btw, on the screen where it asks for my password, it says “iMac-01” if that’s of any help.

Thanks 😊

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 2:29 AM

Do you mean the passcode to enter the computer?

You haven't mentioned which macOS is installed, but the late 2006 iMac can't be upgraded past 10.7.5 so I would refer to the password reset support document for earlier systems:

Password-reset steps for macOS Mojave or earlier describes how to change the passcode if your Mac has 10.14 or earlier installed.

There are two possible solutions suggested in this document - to reset the passcode using your Apple ID, or to reset it using another user account on the Mac.

If you have FileVault turned on there are further options.

iMac-01 seems to be the name of your Mac's drive?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 2:29 AM in response to Ava9oo

Do you mean the passcode to enter the computer?

You haven't mentioned which macOS is installed, but the late 2006 iMac can't be upgraded past 10.7.5 so I would refer to the password reset support document for earlier systems:

Password-reset steps for macOS Mojave or earlier describes how to change the passcode if your Mac has 10.14 or earlier installed.

There are two possible solutions suggested in this document - to reset the passcode using your Apple ID, or to reset it using another user account on the Mac.

If you have FileVault turned on there are further options.

iMac-01 seems to be the name of your Mac's drive?

Jun 9, 2022 5:07 AM in response to Ava9oo

..Ava9oo..

Perhaps to try single-user mode or command-line may work.

If one exists, try original installer media disc DVD from Apple.

..IF you've no discs, you may be able to use these instructions..

With these, (transitional Mac OS X, PowerPC) and then Intel-Mac

may require careful attempts to make due; since older PPC disc

installers won't work with the later Intel-based Macs.

[Instructions: without the actual disc media, should be OK to gain access.]

This, should work in 'Tiger 10.4, Leopard 10.5, & Snow Leopard 10.6.' - to workaround (&/or) reset Admin:

• How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc | MacYourself (Aug 2009)

https://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-without-an-installer-disc/

This second one, seems more limited + fewer choices; maybe to Tiger, or Leopard?

• Reset Mac OSX User Password Without CD disk from command line | Steve Stonebraker [Oct 2010]

https://brakertech.com/reset-mac-os-x-admin-user-password-without-cd-disk/

{..my preference: with previous vintage Macs 'w/o' their original media, appears first..}

I have a late 2006 24” iMac and have forgotten the password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.