Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails no longer open on my iMac running Monterey.

Ever since I upgraded my iMac 21.5 computer to macOS Monterey, I had the following problems:

Mail: When I click on Mail in the Dock and it opens (after about one and a half minutes) , I can click and read existing emails. However, as soon as Mail starts downloading new emails, when I click on them to open them and read the text, they don't open. Not only do the new emails not open but the existing emails stop opening. It takes at least six and a half minutes until I can open any of the emails showing in mail, and that includes any emails in the Junk section of Mail.

Safari: It now takes at least a minute and 45 seconds for Safari to open after I click on its symbol in the dock.

I have not been able to find anything in either Mail or Safari Preferences that might be a factor in these problems.

Many thanks,

Bob W.

[Edited by Moderator] 

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 10:09 PM

Bob,

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link. 

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

After restarting in Safe Mode, then restart normally and test.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 10:09 PM in response to Robert Winckler

Bob,

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link. 

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

After restarting in Safe Mode, then restart normally and test.

Jun 14, 2022 2:29 PM in response to Robert Winckler

Hoping that an update fixes a problem is not the way to fix the problem. Usually this method only makes troubleshooting the issue more difficult as the update just masks the issue and does not solve the problem. My suggestion for the next step of troublshooting is:

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Emails no longer open on my iMac running Monterey.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.