Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Work and personal mac with same apple id in different user

The situation I am facing is a bit complicated.

I now have a MacBook Pro for my personal life, and I am going to receive a new MacBook (air, maybe) from my new company. Because of data hygiene and Individual settings and preferences, I was hoping to seperate my workspace and my personal space on my macs.

However, I face a problem. Since I might need to access to files from both sides in both computer, for example, I might need to check my work file on my personal computer while working remotely, how can I seperate two different user in both computers and sync them both thorugh iCloud features?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 8:25 AM

On clean option is to have 2 users

User A: All business data with new company Apple ID

User B: All private data with your current Apple ID

You can have both users on both of your computers, if your company will allow access to company data from a private computer.

Based on what you are doing (business or private) you have to login with the needed user.

Then you have a clean data hygiene and Individual settings and preferences.

Some data could be stored in a folder that both user can have access.

You can share Numbers folders / files or other documents with defined users, then both can work on the same data.

The shared folders are clearly marked.

Going with one Apple ID will make it very easy but not very clean.

Most companies have clear rules on how to handle this.

My old employer was very clear on this topic, no private data on any company computer we even had to confirm this every year in a data security training.

I would recommend that you talk with your new boss about this topic.

Be careful with iCloud setting, don't think that you want all your private photos downloaded on the company computer.

Ralf

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2022 8:25 AM in response to Flamingo_9525

On clean option is to have 2 users

User A: All business data with new company Apple ID

User B: All private data with your current Apple ID

You can have both users on both of your computers, if your company will allow access to company data from a private computer.

Based on what you are doing (business or private) you have to login with the needed user.

Then you have a clean data hygiene and Individual settings and preferences.

Some data could be stored in a folder that both user can have access.

You can share Numbers folders / files or other documents with defined users, then both can work on the same data.

The shared folders are clearly marked.

Going with one Apple ID will make it very easy but not very clean.

Most companies have clear rules on how to handle this.

My old employer was very clear on this topic, no private data on any company computer we even had to confirm this every year in a data security training.

I would recommend that you talk with your new boss about this topic.

Be careful with iCloud setting, don't think that you want all your private photos downloaded on the company computer.

Ralf

Jun 9, 2022 8:03 AM in response to Flamingo_9525

Flamingo_9525 wrote:

The situation I am facing is a bit complicated.

I now have a MacBook Pro for my personal life, and I am going to receive a new MacBook (air, maybe) from my new company. Because of data hygiene and Individual settings and preferences, I was hoping to seperate my workspace and my personal space on my macs.

However, I face a problem. Since I might need to access to files from both sides in both computer, for example, I might need to check my work file on my personal computer while working remotely, how can I seperate two different user in both computers and sync them both thorugh iCloud features?

File sharing

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

To sync you need to be signed into the same Apple ID— this seems like it would defeat your "seperate my workspace and my personal space on my macs. "

Work and personal mac with same apple id in different user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.