Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud drive on 2 macs?

If I migrate my MacBook Pro to a MacBook Air, to start off with 2 computers with the same info, is it ok that they both have access to the same, single iCloud Drive?

Is it ok then to have both Macs access, upload, and download to that iCloud Drive?

The Pro is essentially the home office Mac, while the Air is for working on the road.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Posted on May 5, 2020 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 9:32 PM

According to: iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

"Here's what you can do with iCloud Drive

If that describes what you want to accomplish, it is OK!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2020 9:32 PM in response to LukeD

According to: iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

"Here's what you can do with iCloud Drive

If that describes what you want to accomplish, it is OK!

May 6, 2020 10:23 AM in response to LukeD

LukeD wrote:

Thank you, Ferd.

I still question if "all of your devices" can mean a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, etc.

The question is that can these Mac devices all access iCloud Drive via the finder. Having migrated my MacBook Pro to a MacBook Air, with the intent of having both devices start off with the same programs and files, I see the Air automatically uploading to iCloud. Not sure why if the files are already there thanks to the MacBook Pro.

"All of your devices," is inclusive to all devices capable of using iCloud Drive, which are signed in, and using the same Apple ID.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but the iCloud Drive on each computer will have be mirrored on the other computer. The "automatically" upload which you are experiencing is only determining that all of the files are present.

May 6, 2020 8:43 AM in response to Ferd II

Thank you, Ferd.

I still question if "all of your devices" can mean a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, etc.

The question is that can these Mac devices all access iCloud Drive via the finder. Having migrated my MacBook Pro to a MacBook Air, with the intent of having both devices start off with the same programs and files, I see the Air automatically uploading to iCloud. Not sure why if the files are already there thanks to the MacBook Pro.

May 6, 2020 11:02 AM in response to LukeD

I can confirm the advice by Ferd II. That is exactly why iCloud Drive is such a joy to work with. All documents and data available on all devices, independent of the system version or architecture.

At work and at home I am using five different Macs (an iMac, for MacBook Pros from different years- three of them running Mojave, two of them Catalina). iCloud Drive is syncing across all devices, Macs, the iPads, the iPhones.

The only problem will be different version of the apps on different systems.

icloud drive on 2 macs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.