Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-A microphone via USB-C port

I’ve got a standard USB-A Blue Yeti Microphone that I currently use on an old MacBook and am looking at getting a new MacBook which only has USB-C ports. Can I use an adapter for the microphone to work (for GarageBand) or will I need to find a microphone with a USB-C cable?

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 8:35 AM

USB-C is what is being used on new gear everywhere, not the least of which is soon with all phones to be sold in the European Union.

As for Blue, they’re at least aware of the existence of USB-C and it works in at least some cases per:

https://blog.bluemic.com/news/how-to-use-blue-usb-microphones-with-an-iphone-ipad-or-android-device/

Check with Blue support for whichever other microphone you’re using.

Based on some third-party tech specs for Blue microphones, it seems many of the Blue microphones use a USB Mini B, and there are cables with USB-C and Mini B being offered for sale from various sources. This would avoid the adapter.

Or bring the microphone and adapter (or cable) into an Apple store, and ask to try it.

Unimpressed the Blue search did not turn up that Blue blog article, too.

TL;DR: contact Blue support. This will not be the first time they’ve heard this question.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2022 8:35 AM in response to dholtsyd

USB-C is what is being used on new gear everywhere, not the least of which is soon with all phones to be sold in the European Union.

As for Blue, they’re at least aware of the existence of USB-C and it works in at least some cases per:

https://blog.bluemic.com/news/how-to-use-blue-usb-microphones-with-an-iphone-ipad-or-android-device/

Check with Blue support for whichever other microphone you’re using.

Based on some third-party tech specs for Blue microphones, it seems many of the Blue microphones use a USB Mini B, and there are cables with USB-C and Mini B being offered for sale from various sources. This would avoid the adapter.

Or bring the microphone and adapter (or cable) into an Apple store, and ask to try it.

Unimpressed the Blue search did not turn up that Blue blog article, too.

TL;DR: contact Blue support. This will not be the first time they’ve heard this question.

USB-A microphone via USB-C port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.