Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to put a dynamic microphone into the 3.5 jack on a MacBook Pro 14 without using an external sound card?

Is it possible to put a dynamic microphone into the 3.5 jack on a MacBook Pro 14 without using an external sound card?

These macs have a new DAC, can it drive the microphone without using an external sound card?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 11:53 AM

If the microphone has a plug like this (with three rings), then the answer is definitely YES:

If the mic plug is like this (2 rings), then I no, but...

BUT you can get an adapter with two female and one male plug and connect the mic and headphones that way.

3 replies

Jul 19, 2022 1:48 AM in response to dydyvasy

What type of connections do you have? XLR? You probably need an adapter for that.

There seems to be an adapter to USB. You may also find adapters to 3.5mm minijack - but beware of the differences I mentioned above. If possible I'd go with USB.

I know very little about these microphones and I am no expert in audio. I hope someone more knowledgeable can have a say on this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.