Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

just wiped an old ipad to give to my Pops for his use and my imessages still appear on it even though I signed in with his new apple id. How do I get my imessages off the ipad without deleting them from my phone too?

just wiped an old ipad to give to my Pops for his use and my imessages still appear on it even though I signed in with his new apple id. How do I get my imessages off the ipad without deleting them from my phone too?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 9:34 PM

It sounds as if you have not properly set it up for a new user.

Read Apple's instructions Remove your personal information from your old device (at least, from the third point) in the support document What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. If you paired an Apple Watch with your iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch.
  2. Back up your device.
  3. Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store. 
  • If you're using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
  • If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out.

4 If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage.

5 Go back to Settings and tap General > Transfer or Reset [device] > Erase All Content and Settings. If you turned on Find My [device], you might need to enter your Apple ID and password. If your device uses eSIM, choose the option to erase your device and the eSIM profile when asked.

6 If asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].

7 Contact your carrier for help transferring service to a new owner. If you aren't using a SIM card with your device, you can contact them to get help transferring service to the new owner.

8 Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.

It should then present as a 'new' device ready to be set up for a new user.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2022 9:34 PM in response to leverett4444

It sounds as if you have not properly set it up for a new user.

Read Apple's instructions Remove your personal information from your old device (at least, from the third point) in the support document What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. If you paired an Apple Watch with your iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch.
  2. Back up your device.
  3. Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store. 
  • If you're using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
  • If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out.

4 If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage.

5 Go back to Settings and tap General > Transfer or Reset [device] > Erase All Content and Settings. If you turned on Find My [device], you might need to enter your Apple ID and password. If your device uses eSIM, choose the option to erase your device and the eSIM profile when asked.

6 If asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].

7 Contact your carrier for help transferring service to a new owner. If you aren't using a SIM card with your device, you can contact them to get help transferring service to the new owner.

8 Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.

It should then present as a 'new' device ready to be set up for a new user.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.