Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore to new iPad Pro stuck.

I purchased a new iPad Pro 12.9 w. 2 T memory. Last evening I started the restore and was told at the Apple Store there was 24 hr support for setup. Not true! My restore from an iCloud backup has been stuck at 6.6 gig to go all day. How can fix this?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 9:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 12:57 AM

To clarify, I suggest that you were informed that setup support is available both online and by telephone 24hrs a day.

The period that you can obtain free/complimentary telephone support is limited to 90-days from date of purchase - after which, telephone support may be chargeable.

As already outlined by Tesserax, the time required to complete a transfer/restore process is principally a function of:

a) how much data needs to be transferred

b) the speed of your WiFi network

c) the speed of your internet connection - as your new iPad will need to automatically download Apps and other non-transferable content from Apple’s servers.

As such, if very little data needs to be transferred, the transfer process may be minutes; conversely, if a significant amount of data must be transferred between devices, the process may take many hours.

If the restore process appears to have stalled after 24hrs, then is the time to consider intervention if needed.

For reference, these support pages outline the available methods to restore an iPad - either from a backup, or to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

For troubleshooting:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2022 12:57 AM in response to Strandrud

To clarify, I suggest that you were informed that setup support is available both online and by telephone 24hrs a day.

The period that you can obtain free/complimentary telephone support is limited to 90-days from date of purchase - after which, telephone support may be chargeable.

As already outlined by Tesserax, the time required to complete a transfer/restore process is principally a function of:

a) how much data needs to be transferred

b) the speed of your WiFi network

c) the speed of your internet connection - as your new iPad will need to automatically download Apps and other non-transferable content from Apple’s servers.

As such, if very little data needs to be transferred, the transfer process may be minutes; conversely, if a significant amount of data must be transferred between devices, the process may take many hours.

If the restore process appears to have stalled after 24hrs, then is the time to consider intervention if needed.

For reference, these support pages outline the available methods to restore an iPad - either from a backup, or to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

For troubleshooting:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jun 9, 2022 10:15 PM in response to Strandrud

Strandrud wrote:

Last evening I started the restore and was told at the Apple Store there was 24 hr support for setup. Not true!

How long it will take to restore a backup to iCloud will depend on the size of the backup and the Internet connection download speed available on your local network that the iPad is connected to. This can take a number of hours.

Regardless, I suggest that you continue to allow it to restore, unless you get an alert telling you something went wrong.

Ref: If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup - Apple Support

As far as 24 hour support for setup, I do know that all new Apple devices get 90 days of technical phone support. If the Apple sales rep told you that you get 24 hours for setup support, then I would suggest that you follow up with the store's manager and let them know what you were told.

Restore to new iPad Pro stuck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.