Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Stuck(?) Restoring from iCloud Backup

Background

I’m enrolled in iUP. When my launch day 12 Pro arrived, I ensured my 11Pro

OS was up to date, backed it up to iCloud, then set up my new 12 Pro based on that fresh iCloud backup. Within ~15 minutes (maybe longer?), my 12 Pro was up and running smooth as butter - all apps in place, all data/media intact, all seemed as expected. Been happily enjoying my new device since.

Issue

Fast forward a few weeks... Today, I went to upgrade to 14.2, and realized it was taking longer than expected. I assumed the work WiFi network was to blame, but patiently waited it out. Eventually, I noticed it was done but the update didn’t install. Upon closer inspection, I noticed this message:

You can install this update when your iPhone is finished restoring from the iCloud backup.

“Finished restoring from the iCloud backup? Has it been restoring since the day I set up the device? That was weeks ago!” Confused, I checked my iCloud setting and noticed my new 12 Pro had yet to backup. Confusion furthered. Under iCloud Backup in Settings, I see an option to “Stop Restoring iPhone” with the following message:

This iPhone is currently being restored and will automatically back up once it’s done.

Restoring media.

When I select the option to stop restoring iPhone, a pop up reveals this message:

Stop Restoring iPhone?

Any data that has not been downloaded will not be restored or backed up in the future.

Part of me wants to stop restoring the device. A larger part of me fears losing precious data (namely photos of the kids) - hence why I’m posting here.

Solution

Anyone come across this one and/or have any ideas on how to address without jeopardizing data loss?

Appreciate your time!

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 8:17 AM

Appears the only resolution is to restore from factory, losing any/all data amassed from 10/23 - which would mainly be photos. Boo that.

With that yin mind, I opted to go down the Stop Restore route, at risk of data loss. I then backed up my device and do not appear to have suffered any data loss. Updating to 14.2 now. Looks to have been some odd clog/ hiccup in the process.

Hopefully this post helps anyone who may experience a similar, albeit rare, scenario.

Cheers.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2020 8:17 AM in response to Tarpua

Appears the only resolution is to restore from factory, losing any/all data amassed from 10/23 - which would mainly be photos. Boo that.

With that yin mind, I opted to go down the Stop Restore route, at risk of data loss. I then backed up my device and do not appear to have suffered any data loss. Updating to 14.2 now. Looks to have been some odd clog/ hiccup in the process.

Hopefully this post helps anyone who may experience a similar, albeit rare, scenario.

Cheers.

Dec 1, 2020 7:27 PM in response to Tarpua

Hey, I have had the same issue and had the exact experience as you to a T. I have deleted and restored to factory settings 4 times and have tried restoring from my iCloud backups at least 4 times (each time selecting from a less recent backup thinking that that was the issue) it was not. it still says "apps and data will continue downloading in the background" yet they never load.I took my 12 device back to the carrier I bought it from and they informed me that they just had the same experience with someone else and I would have to take my device in to apple and get a new phone. its frustrating because I can see all of my photos and data when I log onto iCloud.com its just not wanting to transfer over to the new 12 devices or the latest 14.2 update for whatever reason. so I'm stuck with a new phone with no photos, no apps, no access to anything. debating risking my patience trying to get an appointment scheduled with apple directly seeing that its holiday season and a during a pandemic at that :(

Dec 11, 2020 8:39 PM in response to chiragchavda

Were you also having the issue where the photo library was just stuck at “updating” and none of your photos were showing up? My phone has been stuck there since 2 days and I’ve been waiting patiently for something to happen. Also none of the apps have finished downloading since I started the restore process. Anyone else having the same issues?

Dec 25, 2020 9:06 AM in response to aryat123

Yes had the same issue with the photo album. And the apps as well, i would click on a few of them to “pause” the download to try to give priority to one at a time to finish uploading, that worked a little but it never fully got any of my apps to download 100%. Sounds like you either leave your phone alone for 4 days or do as i did; download from a different iCloud source if possible...

iPhone 12 Pro Stuck(?) Restoring from iCloud Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.