Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backup completed 2 hours ago but still cannot eject external disk

after waiting 2 hours after time machine had backup. I still cannot close time machine without either

1, force eject

2, shut down machine, unplug external disk, reboot

this is annoying

running Monterey

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 12:41 PM

13 replies

Jun 10, 2022 1:28 PM in response to x1001x

x1001x wrote:

accidently clicked "Solved"...... my issue is still on going.... the only icons in the task bar are safari and finder

<report.log>

OneDrive is known to cause issues on the macOS, disable it as a test.

You can try from the Terminal.app (in your Utilities folder,) copy and paste:

diskutil umount 

notice the trailing blank space..

now simply drag your TM disk from your Desktop and drop in on the Terminal window to complete the path;

press your enter\return key to proceed

Jun 10, 2022 1:34 PM in response to leroydouglas

listen I really appreciate the help but this is what i got

diskutil: did not recognize verb "umount/Volumes/backup-m1 1"; type "diskutil" for a list

I'm just going to plug the extern disk out. I really cannot be bothered any more

im not going to lie. I'm new to Mac and this is a new machine with just (I think) 60gig of data backup.

lol I do love to learn and tinker but really, a backup software not being released by the OS without me going to command line...

I might as well install Debian and move on with my evening :)

nah really, at his point in the evening I'm too tired to be doing this.

anyway I really want to thank you for the help... really great fast responses and good people.

I still love this Mac though its different but really frigging great

Jun 10, 2022 1:57 PM in response to x1001x

x1001x wrote:

I'm just going to plug the extern disk out. I really cannot be bothered any more
im not going to lie. I'm new to Mac and this is a new machine with just (I think) 60gig of data backup.
lol I do love to learn and tinker but really, a backup software not being released by the OS without me going to command line...
I might as well install Debian and move on with my evening :)

nah really, at his point in the evening I'm too tired to be doing this.

anyway I really want to thank you for the help... really great fast responses and good people.
I still love this Mac though its different but really frigging great

If were me, if the TM is not actively running I would of already hit the Force Eject button without hesitation...long ago

I think that is preferable compared to yanking the plug.

I think dialabrain above makes a good observation: CommanderOne. Either way I suspect third party interference .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.