Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes app disappeared-reinstalled now wont open

I tried back up iphone 6 said itunes update available. tried updated stalled so I stopped. Turned off computer and on itunes app disappeared? reinstalled itunes. Now cannot open cant read created by newer version of itunes. What can I do now to backup my iphone as I have a new iphone to transfer info into. Is there an old version of itunes to reinstall? the exact message was: The file itunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes.

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 11:36 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 12, 2022 1:21 AM in response to Pennyapa

In addition to the help offered by turingtest2, I have a couple of points to add, especially if you're still stuck:

Pennyapa wrote:

tried updated stalled so I stopped. Turned off computer and on itunes app disappeared?

If you mean that the shortcut to it on your taskbar disappeared, that is normal behaviour when iTunes is updated. You would still find iTunes on your All Programmes menu and you would probably still see a working shortcut on the desktop. In that event, all you need to do is delete the non-working taskbar version on add a new one (in Windows 10) by either:

• right-clicking the desktop shortcut and selecting Pin to taskbar from the context menu
    • using All Programmes/iTunes (folder), right-clicking the iTunes start icon, selecting More/Pin to taskbar from the context menu

reinstalled itunes. Now cannot open cant read created by newer version of itunes.

That may be because the update did complete, or get far enough to cause the issue by updating the .itl file, but you have somehow installed an earlier version. Perhaps, you found and installed an old version that was on your computer, which would explain why you then see the message that Library.itl file was created by a newer version of iTunes. I would check iTunes' Help/About iTunes in order to confirm which version you actually have installed. On the day of writing this, the most recent (and therefore the current) version of iTunes is 12.12.4.1

Don't forget to follow turingtest2's advice.

itunes app disappeared-reinstalled now wont open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.