You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music randomly plays when I remove AirPods

This issue has been an ongoing one for me. Occasionally — not always but just often enough to be a hassle — my iPhone starts playing Apple Music when I remove my AirPods Pro.

This started a number of years ago. At the time, I never even used Apple Music. One day, I said “Hey Siri, play some jazz.” And jazz music started playing via Apple Music. But ever since then, I’ll take out my AirPods after watching YouTube or playing a game or something, and then my phone starts playing jazz via Apple Music — an app I never intentionally use.

Recently I subscribed to Apple One, which includes Apple Music, and the frequency of the random playing has increased. I casually browsed Apple Music once, and now when I remove my AirPods, my phone starts playing random songs related to the ones I browsed through.

In short, I don’t want my phone to play ANYTHING after I take out my AirPods, much less random songs from an app I don’t actively use.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 5:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 9:13 AM

Add me to this club with the AirPod Pros.

I remove my Airpod(s) after making a phone call and Apple Music starts playing.

I remove one of my Airpods (in noise cancellation mode) while on a plane so I can hear the flight attendant, and Apple Music starts blaring in the other ear.

If it's a bug, fix it Apple. If there is a setting that could be changed, let us know. I suspect it's the former, however. It's incredibly annoying as it is.

Similar questions

113 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2022 9:13 AM in response to ryan238

Add me to this club with the AirPod Pros.

I remove my Airpod(s) after making a phone call and Apple Music starts playing.

I remove one of my Airpods (in noise cancellation mode) while on a plane so I can hear the flight attendant, and Apple Music starts blaring in the other ear.

If it's a bug, fix it Apple. If there is a setting that could be changed, let us know. I suspect it's the former, however. It's incredibly annoying as it is.

Aug 22, 2022 7:53 AM in response to Spek1

Same. Just happened a moment ago. That twice is a couple of days and a little embarrassing when it happened in a group setting.

I’m with you. I don’t want anything to automatically play. I have disabled every possible setting and still Apple Music insists on inserting itself. It’s like a computer virus that Apple insists on inserting into my experience.

Jun 12, 2022 10:30 AM in response to OrigamiFan1

I’ll give this a try, but I’ll also add that I’m pretty much never listening to ANY content when I remove my AirPods. Whether it’s a video, a podcast, a game, Spotify etc. I always stop/pause the content before removing my AirPods. And no matter what content I was listening to before, it’s ALWAYS Apple Music that plays whenever I take out the AirPods — it NEVER starts autoplaying/resuming the content I last listened to.

Oct 28, 2022 10:37 AM in response to Spek1

I'm having the same issue. I pause my Spotify, then take out my AirPods in my quiet office, and awful music I downloaded 8 years ago starts screeching from my iPhone speakers prompting everyone to look at me. When this happens elsewhere it's bearable, when it's affecting my entire office it's down right embarrassing. I can no longer use my AirPods Pro at work because of this problem.

Sep 7, 2022 12:56 PM in response to Spek1

I have the exact same issue -- i can't replicate it perfectly every time, but it only happens when coming off a call or teams mtg, put my airpods (not pro) back in the case, then random apple music starts playing ... and i mean rAnDOm. glad some of the songs that have played haven't been heard by others!

Any response from Apple on this? How can we make sure this bug is noticed and addressed? it's going to be really bad some time for me...

Sep 9, 2022 1:39 PM in response to diggins1

To be clear, at least for me, this is not just limited to the spontaneous appearance of Apple Music through my iPod Pros. I do not have an Apple Music account. But I do have a large amount of music downloaded into my iTunes Library which, likewise, begins to play when I remove the iPod Pros from my ears and return them to their charging case. I believe the bug is more generic than one which involves the relationship between one's Apple Music account and their iPod Pros.

It is extremely annoying and, on more than rare occasion, disruptive to others. Please look into it Apple.

May 29, 2024 3:49 PM in response to Spek1

Beyond the annoyance, this is becoming interesting. Why would Apple, a company with a reputation of producing top of the line technology, ignore the complaints of many consumers about an issue that would seem to be an easy fix? And to let this go on for literally YEARS? I'm wondering if they think that giving us the ability to turn off this annoying feature would result in many users not signing up for extra streaming services? That's the only explanation that I've been able to come up with. Anybody got any other conspiracy theories?

Apple Music randomly plays when I remove AirPods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.