Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring some photos from a time machine backup

I want to find a few pictures that I recently deleted on my current computer. I have those on an older back up. I have restored an old back up to an external drive. Now I want to access the photos but I am afraid it will either ALL be added to new current iPhotos or will replace my current photos.

Heres my question:

How can I be sure that I am just looking at the restored pictures in order to find the few photos I want?

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 8:18 AM

You can have multiple independent photos libraries on your computer

Switch to the library on the external drive

Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple ...Official Apple Support › guide › photos › mac

Then you can view all photos that are in this library.

The photos from your restored backup will not be mixed or imported with the photos that are in your main library.

The two libraries are 100% independent, nothing will happen to your main library.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2022 8:18 AM in response to TechMuse88

You can have multiple independent photos libraries on your computer

Switch to the library on the external drive

Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple ...Official Apple Support › guide › photos › mac

Then you can view all photos that are in this library.

The photos from your restored backup will not be mixed or imported with the photos that are in your main library.

The two libraries are 100% independent, nothing will happen to your main library.

Jun 11, 2022 7:18 AM in response to TechMuse88

Unfortunately you did not say what macOS version you are using, therefore I give you two options.

With older macOS version you have to export the photos from the library on your external drive and then import them in your main library

1) Switch to the library on the external drive, here you find the details:

2) Export the photos that you want to a folder on your MacBook

Export photos, videos, slideshows, and memories from Photos ...Official Apple Support › guide › photos › mac

3) Import them in your main library

Import photos from storage devices and DVDs using Photos ...Official Apple Support › guide › photos › mac

If you have macOS Monterey you can directly import from the library on your external drive.

Select only the photos that you want!!

Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac - Apple ...Official Apple Support › guide › photos › mac

Ralf

Restoring some photos from a time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.