Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I format my external SSD drive to Mac?

Why can't I format my external SSD drive to Mac? I'm selected the the external drive at device level--- not volume. I'm also choosing to format as: "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the scheme is: "GUID Partition Map". However, I am getting error message: "Couldn't open disk: (69879) Operation failed..."

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 8:46 AM

DJBSincere wrote:

Why can't I format my external SSD drive to Mac? I'm selected the the external drive at device level--- not volume. I'm also choosing to format as: "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the scheme is: "GUID Partition Map". However, I am getting error message: "Couldn't open disk: (69879) Operation failed..."

If the drive is failing it is an issue.

Typically, especially by the time you are using Monterey you want to see GUID/APFS

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2022 8:46 AM in response to DJBSincere

DJBSincere wrote:

If the drive is failing it is an issue.

Typically, especially by the time you are using Monterey you want to see GUID/APFS

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Why can't I format my external SSD drive to Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.