Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format and Partition map for external ssd on Mac studio

All the current answers to questions about formatting are for intel based Mac’s. I have a Mac studio. Where can I get an answer?

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 4:45 AM

I’m not sure where you are seeing Intel vs Apple Silicon with respect to partitioning. Apple’s guide doesn’t differentiate.

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 24, 2022 4:28 PM in response to RH51

RH51 wrote:

All the current answers to questions about formatting are for intel based Mac’s. I have a Mac studio. Where can I get an answer?

There is no difference between formatting disks for Intel Macs vs. M1 Macs.

However, beginning with macOS Catalina, Mac boot drives must be formatted as APFS regardless of whether it's an SSD or an HDD and regardless of whether it's an Intel or M1 Mac. Note also that boot drives must be partitioned as GUID partition map on Intel & M1 Macs; and GUID has been the partition map of choice for all drives ever since Apple first released Intel Macs. The boot drive on your Mac Studio must be GUID/APFS.

It is strongly suggested by Apple that all SSDs (internal & external, bootable & non-bootable) be formatted as APFS although in reality non-bootable SSDs may be formatted as you wish. Non-bootable HDDs may also be formatted as you wish (although APFS is not a good selection for an HDD, for performance reasons).

Format and Partition map for external ssd on Mac studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.