Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine and new iMac

I have a 5T LaCie external drive that has been used as my backup device for my Time Machine and I have been reading about starting up my new iMac using Time machine. Can I simply plug the drive into the iMac then turn on the computer and let it transfer everything over the weekend?

Do I have to tell the computer to make transfer or does it happen automatically?

If I must tell the iMac to make the transfer do I use the entity called "Migrate" (don't recall what it is called)

Please advise

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 9:17 AM

Best way is to Migrate from your Time Machine backup during the initial setup.

see > Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 11, 2022 11:21 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you for your response. A curious thing happened when I plugged in my Time Machine external drive then turned on the iMac. It appears to be loading the data from the drive without my using Migration Assistant and displays the screen that tells you to turn on your mouse and keyboard and hums merrily along. Is this a problem?

Jun 11, 2022 4:16 PM in response to tomtweed

The process has not started yet. After the mouse and keyboard are running the install process starts setting up user interface. It will eventually ask you if you want to transfer files and it will look for your Time machine that you connected to the new Mac. It then will then ask you if you want to start the migration and then it will start the transfer process.

Time machine and new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.