Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup New Computer from Time Machine Backup Containing Multiple Drives

I am currently using an 8TB drive with Time Machine to backup my iMac as well as three additional external drives. I ordered a new MBP to replace my iMac and I'd like to use Time Machine to quickly setup the new machine.

How will this effect the three external drives? Will it recognize them as the same drives and simply make no changes to them? Or would I have to first change my backup settings to no longer back up the 3 external drives, do one final back up of the iMac only, then restore that backup to the new machine - leaving the 3 externals untouched. Then of course set Time Machine up to backup the 3 external drives again?

In other words, will Time Machine recognize that I only need to restore the system drive and leave the other three drives alone? If so, will it then continue to back the external drives up with no interruptions once the new machine is setup?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 5:26 AM

Update. Setting up the new computer using the Time Machine backup worked just fine. It did not affect the 3 external drives. When "entering" Time Machine on the new device I cannot navigate beyond the setup date, it started the timeline from day 1. However, within Time Machine, I can manually navigate to the backup drive and browse individual files stored within separate backup folders on each drive.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 5:26 AM in response to imightbewronger

Update. Setting up the new computer using the Time Machine backup worked just fine. It did not affect the 3 external drives. When "entering" Time Machine on the new device I cannot navigate beyond the setup date, it started the timeline from day 1. However, within Time Machine, I can manually navigate to the backup drive and browse individual files stored within separate backup folders on each drive.

Apr 20, 2020 1:49 PM in response to imightbewronger

I can't remember what I did, for certain. I think I just told it to use the same drive I had been using.

Since Time Machine can only ever be guaranteed to be a copy of your current drives, I don't try to inherit another backup. I usually just erase the backup and start over. While recently deleted files can be recovered, as soon as Time Machine needs the space, the oldest of those deleted files will be deleted from the backup. It's not archival, so I don't really see a point in inheriting another backup.

However, I don't remember erasing the backup drive, but it wasn't a new computer. The backups have a way of associating with a particular computer, so it may have just kept going. My guess though, is it did a full backup.

Setup New Computer from Time Machine Backup Containing Multiple Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.