Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 2021 M1 Pro slower than older 2015 intel core i5 MacBook Pro

I have had my 2021 M1 Pro 14inch MacBook Pro since October/November. I find that the battery life and performance is far worse than my older 2015 intel core i5 MacBook Pro. The M1 Pro has 10cpu/16gpu model with 16GB ram and 1TB NVMe SSD. I started the M1 Pro with a fresh install and profile and transferred data/apps manually. I have reinstalled macOS and that does not fix the issue. Apple basically just says sorry if all you use is 3rd party apps then they cannot be of help since diagnostics comes out clean as always. My 2015 core i5 MacBook Pro has a core i5 with 8GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD. Has anyone else face this issue? My M1 Pro only gets 5-6 hours of battery life on light usage with low brightness and most apps closed. Any ideas on how to improve the performance and battery life?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 8:36 PM

17 replies

Jun 12, 2022 3:26 PM in response to MAPE15

I have no, zero, zip, nadda performance or battery issues with Monterey on my MacBook Pro. To wait and hope Ventura will somehow magically solve your problems doesn't seem like a good solution to me.

You may not like to hear this, but you're running applications which are causing your issues. These are not Intel based machines. They are Silicon ARM machines and the sooner you get off Intel based applications you'll likely find your issues go away. And again, you simply don't need antivirus or disk clean tools on a Mac.

Jun 11, 2022 8:55 PM in response to MAPE15

MAPE15 Said:

"MacBook 2021 M1 Pro slower than older 2015 intel core i5 MacBook Pro: [...]Any ideas on how to improve the performance and battery life?"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Power:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Jun 11, 2022 8:57 PM in response to MAPE15

MAPE15 Said:

"MacBook 2021 M1 Pro slower than older 2015 intel core i5 MacBook Pro: [...]Apple basically just says sorry if all you use is 3rd party apps then they cannot be of help since diagnostics comes out clean as always. [...]Any ideas on how to improve the performance and battery life?"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Power Drain:

Three Things:

I. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: shift key, upon boot], In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally seeing if you still get this error.

II. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

III. Uninstall Third-Party Apps:

Uninstall these third-party apps, and try taking this up with Apple Support, once more. Use an installer for applicable apps.

Jun 11, 2022 9:02 PM in response to markwmsn

Correct. I use what I can but my main apps are mostly Rosetta 2 translated from x64 architecture. Main apps I use are Safari, Opera GX, Apple Mail, Amazon Music, MS Edge, MS Word, iMessage, Parallels Desktop (virtualization software, ARM version), Boom 3D, Fantastical (Calendar App), Acronis Cyber Protect Office (Backup solution to cloud), DisplayLink driver for my dock, Speedtest.net, Termius, Logi Options+ for my wireless mouse.

Jun 11, 2022 9:06 PM in response to MrHoffman

Apple just says everything is normal, do a OS reset and uninstall/do not use 3rd party apps. 90% of the apps I use are 3rd party. That is not a logical resolution to the issue (I am an engineer so they think they can fool me like every other non-tech person). All of the creative content creators, music editors, video editors, etc. all use 3rd party apps. The main power draw that will show in activity monitor is Amazon Music, Opera GX, and Safari. I have already talked to Amazon Music and they do not have a solution other than reinstalling app which I already have done several times.

Jun 12, 2022 2:51 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for trying to help! Sadly, I realized I have 32GB of RAM instead of 16GB so that should be enough power for performance. Not sure if my machine being powerful is just too much for battery efficiency? Apple removed my shared video link on iCloud. If you want to see it let me know so I can email you it.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Jun 12, 2022 3:13 PM in response to MAPE15

I would give serious consideration to dumping the apps which require Rosetta 2 in order to run on your MBP. I recently got a 1TB 16GB M1 Pro and have made sure no apps I need are Intel based, and nothing requires Rosetta. My machine is the fastest machine I've ever owned. Look for M1 Silicon ARM based applications to replace the Intel based applications you're running and I'd be willing to bet you'll see a difference.

Also, if you run ANY anti-virus - disk clean apps, get rid of them. They typically cause more issues than they could possibly solve.

Jun 12, 2022 3:16 PM in response to lobsterghost1

The thing is the issue started to arise prior to getting AV and Disk Clean apps. Prior to them my computer was practically unusable. The AV and disk clean apps cleaned up and boosted my performance to usable. Prior to their installation, my computer would kernel panic and run so sluggish. Now it just runs slow but at least it runs.

Jun 12, 2022 3:21 PM in response to MAPE15

Hard to imagine it could have been running so abysmally with a clean install from the beginning.

Macs just don't need antivirus - disk clean software.

You've clearly got some programs running, which are negatively impacting the performance of the machine.

If it were my machine, I'd wipe it back to brand new out of the box condition. Then see how it runs. Add things one app at a time and see how things run. Whatever is causing your issues, should become apparent when performance degrades right after you download something.

Jun 12, 2022 3:28 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I've had these issues on every MacBook Pro I have ever owned in the last 10 years. Apple's claims on performance and battery tend to be graded by using only their software. Generally I receive performance boosts after new OS upgrades but it is frustrating to wait till every year for those to come to get the fixes. I run into issues on Windows computers too but that is expected since Windows is generally terrible.

MacBook 2021 M1 Pro slower than older 2015 intel core i5 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.