Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an external HDD to put some transfer data in it?

I have bought a new MacBook Pro and my old IMAC has 2 terabytes of storage full and my new MacBook Pro has only one terabyte of storage can I use an external hard drive and put some of the transfer data on that and if so how.R

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 3:20 AM

Of course you can use an external drive. To get the files onto it, use Finder to copy and paste from the old Mac. Then, copy to the new Mac what you want there. Be certain you leave 15-20% of your new Mac's drive totally unused. The OS needs room to work.

The drive will likely need to be formatted in an Apple format. Which you use is your choice. I prefer APFS.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2022 3:20 AM in response to jwst

Of course you can use an external drive. To get the files onto it, use Finder to copy and paste from the old Mac. Then, copy to the new Mac what you want there. Be certain you leave 15-20% of your new Mac's drive totally unused. The OS needs room to work.

The drive will likely need to be formatted in an Apple format. Which you use is your choice. I prefer APFS.

Can I use an external HDD to put some transfer data in it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.