iMac using Mac Mini for storage

Can I use my very old Mac mini as external storage for my new iMac?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 4:58 AM

Target Disk Mode used to be a good way of getting files off an old Mac's internal drive. (I wouldn't recommend using an old Mac in place of a new external drive.)

But now, if either computer has Big Sur or later installed, TDM only works with a Thunderbolt connection – and that would rule out a connection to some old Macs, while requiring a $50 adapter + $30 TB 1/2 cable in order to make the connection to others.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

So even for data transfers, it may be better to clone the old Mac's drive to an external USB drive and then move that external USB drive to the new machine.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2023 4:58 AM in response to DC42598

Target Disk Mode used to be a good way of getting files off an old Mac's internal drive. (I wouldn't recommend using an old Mac in place of a new external drive.)

But now, if either computer has Big Sur or later installed, TDM only works with a Thunderbolt connection – and that would rule out a connection to some old Macs, while requiring a $50 adapter + $30 TB 1/2 cable in order to make the connection to others.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

So even for data transfers, it may be better to clone the old Mac's drive to an external USB drive and then move that external USB drive to the new machine.

iMac using Mac Mini for storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.