Is it possible to physically add data storage to an iMac?

I just bought an iMac and see that it has about a 1/4 of the data storage available that my old computer has.

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 11:37 PM

You can make an Alias of a folder on the external drive and copy that Alias on the primary drive where ever you want it to make it easier to seamlessly use the external. The Alias doesn't take up much space on the drive, but is essentially a link or shortcut to the actual folder location where the folder and files that it contains are stored.

Kind of like a secret passage from the Study to the Kitchen in the Clue board game. The kitchen is not actually in the study, but you can get there in one move to the opposite side of the board.

iMac is more of a consumer home computer build to order, the Mac Pro is a professional machine and more user-upgradeable. Even over a few model years difference, you can't really make a fair comparison of specs across those target demographic markets. Not noticing specs when buying a computer? That is literally how you buy a computer, look at the specs, am I right?

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 11:37 PM in response to Dbarunas

You can make an Alias of a folder on the external drive and copy that Alias on the primary drive where ever you want it to make it easier to seamlessly use the external. The Alias doesn't take up much space on the drive, but is essentially a link or shortcut to the actual folder location where the folder and files that it contains are stored.

Kind of like a secret passage from the Study to the Kitchen in the Clue board game. The kitchen is not actually in the study, but you can get there in one move to the opposite side of the board.

iMac is more of a consumer home computer build to order, the Mac Pro is a professional machine and more user-upgradeable. Even over a few model years difference, you can't really make a fair comparison of specs across those target demographic markets. Not noticing specs when buying a computer? That is literally how you buy a computer, look at the specs, am I right?

Aug 14, 2023 9:43 PM in response to Dbarunas

If purchased from Apple within the last 14 days, you can it for a full refund, and acquire an iMac with sufficient internal storage.

Otherwise, you can connect external storage to your iMac, as mentioned above. SSD or otherwise. Several of the Mac mini boxes I deal with have most of a hundred of terabytes connected externally, for instance.

Is it possible to physically add data storage to an iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.