Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NUMBERS APP IS UNBEARABLE SLOW

I’ve seen this topic before but never noticed a solution.

I use NUMBERS on my IPad & IPhone for everyday spreadsheets. Nothing complicated, just housekeeping etc with simple formulas. I’ve used it for years with no issues. Over the last few months it’s been unbearably slow. Every keystroke takes ages and it constantly shows the message “spreadsheet updating”. I know excel is so much better but for my purposes it’s not worth paying a subscription. I would love to give up on it but I have previous years spreadsheets saved and it’s handy to compare things.

Did anyone else notice NUMBERS slow done after a software update?

Has anyone managed to solve the issue?

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 3:17 AM

Your observed behaviour suggests that Numbers is saving documents to (or synchronising with) iCloud - and that perhaps your WiFi or internet connection is slow. Poor network or internet performance would manifest as slow App response.

A forced-restart of both your WiFi Router and iPad may help.

To restart you home router, disconnect power - then wait at least 30 seconds before restarting. When you router has rebooted (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2022 3:17 AM in response to AEM18

Your observed behaviour suggests that Numbers is saving documents to (or synchronising with) iCloud - and that perhaps your WiFi or internet connection is slow. Poor network or internet performance would manifest as slow App response.

A forced-restart of both your WiFi Router and iPad may help.

To restart you home router, disconnect power - then wait at least 30 seconds before restarting. When you router has rebooted (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Jun 12, 2022 4:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you LotusPilot.

I’ve tried what you suggested, even although our internet connection is great and all other apps work fine. I think it may have helped a bit so it will get a test when I’ve got more info to input.

I had gone as far as downloading GOOGLE SHEETS and transferring my most used spreadsheet to that. After trying your solution I did notice that if I typed a load of info into numbers as a test it didn’t show up immediately but if I clicked out of the cell it appeared. I had to do that in the Google app so it was just reflex. Maybe a Numbers update resulted in that being necessary. It’s not convent if you have more text to put in but hey ho.

Thanks again for helping so fast.

Jun 12, 2022 6:09 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks again LotusPilot

I’ve just tried that and it made no difference saving to IPad instead of the cloud. Strangely I decided to remove my magic keyboard and try numbers again and would you believe it solved the issue! I’m puzzled as typing elsewhere has never slowed down (emails for example). I was using the keyboard as I can touch type and hated being without a keyboard. I also have arthritis and it’s hard to hold a tablet. You don’t really need to know all that but just shows how the magic keyboards can conflict with some functional apps. 😏. If I have a lot of info to input in future I will just remove the keyboard. Thank you for helping me today with the diagnostics as that got my brain working a bit.

NUMBERS APP IS UNBEARABLE SLOW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.