Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail stopped working on my iPhone 12 on June 1, 2022. What can I do?

I have used Gmail with POP3 for years via the Apple Mail app on my various iPhones. Starting this month, I get a message that my login name or password is incorrect. I tried reentering the password but still get the same error. I cannot see how to fix this.

On my Windows laptop, I had to change authentication manually to OAuth. I still have the same password (I think) but there is also a verrrrry long OAuth authentication token I can see. It's close to 100 characters, maybe more.

I have read that OAuth is built into iOS but have no idea how to implement it, or otherwise get to my Gmail using the Apple Mail app. I don't want to use the Google app for Gmail.

Can anyone help me get my Gmail working again. I'm hoping this can be done without deleting the Gmail account from the iPhone and then recreating it, as I assume this will also remove all inbox and sent mail messages that used this account.

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 10:25 PM

8 replies

Jun 13, 2022 2:13 PM in response to Randysea

I travel outside the US a lot, and they won't text me to my foreign cell phone. I have the same problem with Capitol One.

If you are away from home, you use Public Wi-Fi, see this Apple article: Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Nowadays, Public Wi-Fi is offered for free, in big cities, shopping centers, in Public Transport (bus & train), restaurants and others.

In that case, it is best to log in via Gmail Webmail service from iPhone.

Jun 13, 2022 2:43 PM in response to Raicya

Thank you again, Raicya. Unfortunately, I don't think Google webmail on a 12 Mini is a good option, at least for my old eyes. Nor do I want to put the Gmail app on my phone. So here's where I am now.

1. See if there is a way to get a one-time app password for Apple Mail on my iPhone that only has to be entered once and won't require future 2FA codes every time I want to check Gmail. That's what I can do on my laptop.
  2. Phase out Gmail. I'm partway there now. It's rare for me not to have access to my laptop for any extended period. With very reduced usage of Gmail, I could go a week or three without needing to check Gmail. I could also have all my Gmails automatically forwarded to my main email account to be sure I don't miss anything.
  3. I don't have a Plan 3 yet.

Again, thanks for trying to help.

Randy

Jun 13, 2022 11:12 AM in response to Raicya

Thank you, Raicya.

I read the link but don't really understand how it applies to Apple iOS mail. There is no option in Apple iOS mail I see for "sign in with Google" which I did see in Windows and Thunderbird. Also, that link says to "select device" when signed in to Google. By my iPhone isn't registered with Google. It's registered with Apple.

I'd appreciate any further comments or clarification. Thank you.

Jun 13, 2022 1:19 PM in response to Raicya

I know I have the correct gmail password because it works when I login in to webmail or use Thunderbird on my Windows laptop. I have that same password stored on my iPhone for mail from gmail.

What I don't understand is the difference between my gmail password and an "app password." I don't have an app password for iOS mail, at least not the I know of. Do I need two different passwords now for gmail when I use apple mail? And do I get the app password when using my iPhone or is it something I get by logging in to my gmail account from my Windows laptop.

I just signed in to my gmail account. It shows my laptop and my iPhone as registered devices. It says my phone is signed in via Safari. But there's nothing about Apple Mail, an app password, or about any other iOS app for that matter. It only shows Thunderbird as "Third-party apps with account access".

There also is some discussion of turning on 2FA. I don't have it turned on because it requires that Google be able to send me a text message or call me. I travel outside the US a lot, and they won't text me to my foreign cell phone. I have the same problem with Capitol One. There is no way to login because their 2FA only works with a US cell or landline number. I was hoping there was some way to use gmail on my iPhone without 2FA, as I can do on my Windows machine.

Gmail stopped working on my iPhone 12 on June 1, 2022. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.