Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" late 2013 faulty ram??

Hi everyone,

I own a Apple iMac 27" 3,5GHZ i7 from late 2013.

Now I've upgraded the RAM but it doesn't seem to run smooth.

Firstly it gave 3 "fault indicator" tones when trying to put the iMac back on after installing the new RAM.

The RAM I put in there now are: SK Hynix 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 Times 4, so 32GB

Are or aren't these the right kind of RAM modules?

If not, which exact specs should I get?

Thanks in advance

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 10:53 AM

Daan R Wolfs wrote:

Well for me its not about the brand but about the exact specifications of the RAM modules.
Like, are mine right, or isn't it a surprise that my iMac runs bad with those?

Unfortunately Apple does not publish all the required memory specifications and most memory vendors no longer supply the extended specifications on their product pages. Besides the memory (aka bus) speed, there are several more important timings that are also critical for compatibility. Since Apple doesn't publish this information, people must rely on the memory vendors to provide the exact part numbers which are compatible with any specific computer or motherboard. Crucial and OWC make it very simple to correctly identify the compatible memory modules which is one reason why many contributors will only recommend these two manufacturers/vendors. If I purchase memory from Crucial just based on the memory speed and pin count alone, most likely the memory will be incompatible and cause intermittent hard to troubleshoot problems. Even when purchasing memory from Crucial only use the exact part numbers suggested when using the tools on their website to identify compatible memory.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2022 10:53 AM in response to Daan R Wolfs

Daan R Wolfs wrote:

Well for me its not about the brand but about the exact specifications of the RAM modules.
Like, are mine right, or isn't it a surprise that my iMac runs bad with those?

Unfortunately Apple does not publish all the required memory specifications and most memory vendors no longer supply the extended specifications on their product pages. Besides the memory (aka bus) speed, there are several more important timings that are also critical for compatibility. Since Apple doesn't publish this information, people must rely on the memory vendors to provide the exact part numbers which are compatible with any specific computer or motherboard. Crucial and OWC make it very simple to correctly identify the compatible memory modules which is one reason why many contributors will only recommend these two manufacturers/vendors. If I purchase memory from Crucial just based on the memory speed and pin count alone, most likely the memory will be incompatible and cause intermittent hard to troubleshoot problems. Even when purchasing memory from Crucial only use the exact part numbers suggested when using the tools on their website to identify compatible memory.

iMac 27" late 2013 faulty ram??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.